ADSL Connections Westell 6100 Modem

Guest cletusbaird

Guest cletusbaird

USB Modem setting works well with XP Windows, am guessing at this point but

think that I probably need a 10/100 ethernet connection to make this modem work with Linux.

Went from Dual Boot Windows and Mandrake 10.1 working system with dialup 33.6k modem to a super fast xp machine; but I miss mandy.

Any experienced folks out there with DSL lite and Westell 610030 running linux?

Help :o :thanks:

think that I probably need a 10/100 ethernet connection to make this modem work with Linux.

You don't *have* to, but it's easier and better to go ethernet.

Any experienced folks out there with DSL lite and Westell 610030 running linux?

Some experience with DSL, but what's "DSL lite"?

As for your Westell modem, brand or model doesn't really matter. You don't need to load drivers, and the 'Net is the 'Net, connection is the same regardless of OS. Just jack the modem into a working ethernet card on your Linux box, go to Mandrake Control Center, Webmin, or do it manually, however is comfortable for you, and set your 'Net connection up just like it is in XPee and you should be good to go...

Don't forget, if you do it in MCC, choose "LAN Connection" to do the setup, enter you IP, etc, or set for DHCP if you have one of a few DSL providers that use dynamic IPs. Mine, like most, use static IPs.

Edited by Crashdamage

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cletusbaird

Appreciate all your help!!! You were all right, all I had to do was add a $9.00 ethernet pci card and mandrake detected it on installation used DHCP ...goes for several other flavors of linux as well :jester: