Troubles burning CD/DVD on both of my writers

Guest deschman

Guest deschman

Hi....

I am trying to solve this problem quite a while. I hope here somebody can help me.

I upgraded my Mandrake system from 9.2 to 10.1 (Official). Now I tried to burn some photos on CD. The writing process succeeds without errors. But when I mount the CD the data is damaged, which means some files are missing and all others contain alone parts of the original image.

I burned from an ISO-image which I mounted as a loop device to verify the data. Everything fine whit the image.

I tried different Kernel-versions with and without ide-scsi.

At last I tried kernel 2.6.10-3mdk.

Nothing works.

Is here somebody who has an idea where the problem could be?

My devices are:

cdrecord dev=ATA scanbus 

scsibus1: 
       1,0,0   100) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W2410A' '1.04' Removable CD-ROM 
       1,1,0   101) 'PIONEER ' 'DVD RW  DVR-106D' '1.07' Removable CD-ROM 

Could it be a problem, that both drives are on one ide (<- it wasn't a problem with MDK 9.2)?

Thanks in advance, deschman

Guest deschman

Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps it is. Dd you try it by disconnecting one drive :)

Ok, I will give it a try,

because all this...

Anyway, try different media (other brand CDs) or lower the burn speed. Or try burning as root.

...I tried already, without success.

Does anybody have other suggestions?

Guest deschman

tried now only my plextor writer on de second ide-port. Again the same problem.

A new thing: I tried to copy some files from a cd-r to my harddisk with konqueror and suddenly my system freezed completely. I tried to get a remote-access, but no chance. I had to reboot with the bad-buttons on the computers front, autsch.

any ideas what else it could be?

maybe udev (because that's new...)

thanks

Sometimes when upgrading to 10.1 you would have both udev and devfs running. Try disabling devfs. If all else fails try a clean install. 10.1 also has numerous updates which solve a lot of problems especially with konqueror and usb.I could post you a CD with all the updates if you like.

Edited by kish

Guest deschman
Sometimes when upgrading to 10.1 you would have both udev and devfs running. Try disabling devfs.

I did it. I unchecked the devfsd in the Mandrake Control Center. No change.

If all else fails try a clean install.

I will do this if there is really nothing else what I can do...

10.1 also has numerous updates which solve a lot of problems especially with konqueror and usb. I could post you a CD with all the updates if you like.

After upgrading I installed all updates (and I looked for new updates to when i discovered this problem). And what do you mean with you could post a CD. Do you mean a link? Anyway. thanks for the offer.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a friend on who's system I've just installed MDK 10.2 RC2. His system has the same CD-RW drive, a PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W2410A, that is showing a similar problem. I was successfully able to burn a data CD and his daughter was able to burn a single audio CD. Since burning the audio CD any attempt to burn another audio CD (haven't tried a data CD yet) results in a hung system. Looking at the logs (after a reset0 I see these error messages:

Apr  4 13:49:02 ross kernel: scsi: unknown opcode 0xe9
Apr  4 13:49:02 ross kernel: SCSI-CMD Filter: 0xe9 not allowed with write-mode
Apr  4 13:49:02 ross last message repeated 2 times
Apr  4 13:49:02 ross kernel: scsi: unknown opcode 0xed
Apr  4 13:49:02 ross kernel: SCSI-CMD Filter: 0xed not allowed with write-mode
Apr  4 13:49:02 ross kernel: SCSI-CMD Filter: 0xe9 not allowed with write-mode
Apr  4 13:49:04 ross kernel: scsi: unknown opcode 0x01
Apr  4 13:49:04 ross kernel: SCSI-CMD Filter: 0x1 not allowed with write-mode
Apr  4 13:49:04 ross kernel: SCSI-CMD Filter: 0xe9 not allowed with write-mode
Apr  4 13:49:06 ross kernel: scsi: unknown opcode 0xf5
Apr  4 13:49:06 ross kernel: SCSI-CMD Filter: 0xf5 not allowed with write-mode
Apr  4 13:49:06 ross kernel: SCSI-CMD Filter: 0xe9 not allowed with write-mode
Apr  4 13:50:53 ross kernel: hdd: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Apr  4 13:50:53 ross kernel: hdd: packet command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
Apr  4 13:50:53 ross kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Apr  4 13:50:54 ross kernel: hdd: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Apr  4 13:50:54 ross kernel: hdd: packet command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
Apr  4 13:50:54 ross kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
Apr  4 13:50:55 ross kernel: hdd: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Apr  4 13:50:55 ross kernel: hdd: packet command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
Apr  4 13:50:55 ross kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown

The packet command errors continue until the system was reset.

Any ideas?

I spent some time looking at the source for cdrecord and the kernel and I've found that there are serious problems with the code for Plextor drives. cdrecord generates SCSI commands that are not recognized by the kernel and are rejected by the kernel's SCSI-CMD filter. cdrecord's mmc driver has special tests specifically for Plextor drives and generates drive specific commands. I also found an archive thread on the LKML mailing list that contains a somewhat heated debate between Alan Cox and Joerg Schilling (the author of cdrecord) an others about handling cdrecord SCSI commands. See a segment starting here LKML: Re: PATCH....

I've submitted a bug report to Mandrake, but I wouldn't expect a quick resolution of this problem, it looks a little too complicated for a quick fix.