gDesklets-0.34.1

I downloaded and extracted gDesklets-0.34.1, now when i try to ./configure i get the following error:

Package pygtk-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `pygtk-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'pygtk-2.0' found

configure: error: Library requirements (pygtk-2.0 >= 2.4.0 pyorbit-2 >= 2.0.1 gnome-python-2.0 >= 2.6.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

I already installed pygtk and all the python packages, but stil no luck, whats this "PKG_CONFIG_PATH" ? :help:

Edit:

I thought I'd find a ready-made RPM to ease up installation.. thing is, i get similar crap with the RPM :\

error: Failed dependencies:
       gnome-python-gconf is needed by gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk
       gnome-python-gtkhtml2 is needed by gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk
       gnome-python-gnomevfs is needed by gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk
       gdesklets-display is needed by gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk
       libgtop-2.0.so.4 is needed by gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk
       libhowl.so.0 is needed by gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

The urpmi errors: it means you don't have all the sources (main, contrib, plf) and/or that your sources are not up to date (urpmi.update -a). Read the faqs for urpmi.

The build problems: It means you have to install pygtk-2.0 for the app to build. Most programs in Linux are dependent on other programs. Use http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3 to find an rpm for pygtk.

With th path command you can tell the build program where to look for pygtk (but since you haven't installed the program in the first place that will not work :) )

its disgusting the amount of time it can take to install one simple thing, every rpm that i download, it fails because it needs another one, no wonder people are scared sh*tless of leaving their windows boxes, what use is a stable secure system if you cant even use it to do what you want to do? can take HOURS just to install one simple app :furious3:

Jas, you need to configure urpmi. This is a front end to rpm which will track down and install the dependancies for rpms you try to install.

If you want to configure urpmi correctly follow the easy-urpmi link at the top of this page.

trying from source, i get:

checking for a Python interpreter with version >= 2.3... python
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for python version... 2.4
checking for python platform... linux2
checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python2.4/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib/python2.4/site-packages
checking /usr/include/python2.4/Python.h usability... no
checking /usr/include/python2.4/Python.h presence... no
checking for /usr/include/python2.4/Python.h... no
configure: error: Can't find Python.h! You will need the python development package
             to successfully compile gDesklets.

but i've already installed all the python packages =\

oh and ever since i updated the easy-urpmi when i go to upgrade in mcc, it tells me my packages cant be updated :wall:

Edited by Jas

i already installed the python-devel package, along with like 20 others, the RPM _STILL_ doesnt work, i get:

error: Failed dependencies:
       gnome-python is needed by gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk
       gdesklets-display is needed by gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk
       libgtop-2.0.so.4 is needed by gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk
       libhowl.so.0 is needed by gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk

so when i try to install them, i get:

[root@localhost jas]# urpmi gnome-python
Everything already installed

:furious3:

Edited by Jas

This is what you get when you start out in Linux/Mandrake and don't know what you're doing. Don't worry we have all been there and all made it to Linux/Mandrake masters. I'm sure you'll make it too :)

What you probably did was installing third party rpms/non Mandrake rpms etcetc in short you didn't use urpmi to begin with. Dependenccy problems are easy to solve with urpmi. If this is your first Mandrake install I would suggest you do a reinstall. Don't format (during the installation) your /home partition so your data (provided it's in /home) will still be there.

If you don't want to do tha and you're sure you have all packages installed, use the rpm -ivh --nodeps gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk.rpm command (in the same directory where you put the gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk.rpm)

Good luck

ok when i did urpmi gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk.i586.rpm i get:

Some package requested cannot be installed:
gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libhowl.so.0)

and when i did rpm -ivh --nodeps gdesklets-0.34.1-1mdk.i586.rpm it installed and then i did /usr/bin/gdesklets and i get:

[root@localhost jas]# /usr/bin/gdesklets
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/gdesklets", line 3, in ?
   from main import client, HOME, USERHOME, LOGFILE, PID_PATH, SOCKET_PATH, DISPLAY
 File "/home/goetz/tmp/gdesklets-buildroot/usr/lib/gdesklets/main/__init__.py", line 68, in ?
 File "/home/goetz/tmp/gdesklets-buildroot/usr/lib/gdesklets/utils/__init__.py", line 7, in ?
ImportError: No module named threading

are you sure your urpmi repositories match the version of MDK you're running, and the gdesklets package you're attempting to install is from the same version? If you're attempting to install a gdekslets package from Cooker on a stable release, or a package from one stable release on another stable release, that's not supported and probably won't work.

yes im sure my urpmi repositories match my version of mdk, and no im not trying to install from Cooker, all stable releases... might just quit now heh, it was getting past this before i attempted installing packages, how can i just reinstall python altogether?