installing wvdial [solved]

satelliteuser083

I would like to use wvdial, cannot find it in my installation of 10.1 so assume it needs to be downloaded and installed that way :-( Anyway, found the .tar files for wvdial and its library but have no idea where the library needs to reside in order to be able to 'make' wvdial. Have tried to 'make' the library but keep getting mysterious error messages; am clearly trying to put it in the wrong place. A tip would be appreciated

I feel as though I'm going nuts, or something :furious3: I tried your tip with urpmi, but with no apparent success. So, I went to RPM Search, searched on 'wvdial' and 'wvstreams' and then downloaded 'wvdial-1.54.0-3mdk.src.rpm' and 'wvstreams-3.74.0-4mdk.src.rpm' from ftp.uni-bayreuth.de. I then went to MCC -> Software Management -> Media Manager, where I tried to Add a new Medium (the folder where I'd saved the downloaded RPMs). This appeared to work - difficult to say because there's no feedback - but when I then returned to Software Management -> Install, did an Update media on this 'new' medium and then searched on 'wvdial' the result was a huge ---> NOTHING. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Is it me, or IS there a problem with MCC here? The logic evades me. Need help!!

you got the .src.rpm (source). Look in /usr/src/RPM>>>tree and you'll see the files were installed <for compiling>

go here

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...586/media/main/

and get

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...0-4mdk.i586.rpm

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...0-3mdk.i586.rpm

click on them and you should get a popup asking for the root password and if you want to install.

Edited by bvc

hello bvc,

did as suggested and downloaded 'libwvstreams3.74-3.74.0-4mdk.i586.rpm,' and 'wvdial-1.54.0-3mdk.i586.rpm'. clicked first on ibwvstreams and installed (got bad signature warning, which I ignored), then clicked wvdial, with same warning, also ignored. So I assume that wvdial is now available for use, but, WHERE is it? Can't find it in any of the menus :-( Perhaps ignoring the warnings was a bad move? Need further help !! Thanks, anyway.

Thanks to all who contributed, I've finally managed to get wvdial working in a konsole; that suits me :-) The deciding tip came from Jacques Goldberg at discuss@linmodems.org (see his paper -> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/post-install.html), which considers modems in general wrt wvdial. Once again, thanks!!

Marked the thread Solved - Artificial Intelligence