Router's IP [solved]

mikaowx

This advice makes sense.This is meaningful.

Are you saying you have this up and running already?

I must must have overlooked something when I read about dyndns.

How have you configured it regarding the site? Wasnt it too hard?

What kind of records do you have to create at the site? A pointer?

This router also has the ability to handle dynamic dns so I might just go ahead and try it.

Concerning the mailing process I have found one very lightweight MTA which I would like to share with you all who are or in the future might be interested in such a "mission", some might have heard of ssmail.

It's basically a Local SMTP relay,with options like sender and domain can of course be masquaraded so this one would simply shoot the mail out to space. No doubt it's tiny but it doesnt even become a demon so there arent many security issues to worry about.

thanks in advance

It does look like dyndns is the way to go, I've got to confess I hadn't really heard of it but it looks useful.

What does A1 stand for in the grep tunnel part of the expression and why are we using navy?

Is that the color of the particular pattern in the html code we're looking for?

My other question is; what tr -d ' ' is all about?

-A1 in grep means that it prints the line that matchs the pattern and the following line, -A2 would print the line and following two lines. Navy is the color that the IP address is displayed in and so is simply the pattern we're looking for. tr -d ' ' deletes all the spaces in the returned string.

Here ends a very brief lesson on shell scripting... :cheesy:

This advice makes sense.This is meaningful.

Are you saying you have this up and running already?

Yes. I use it to ssh into my home machine from work.

I must must have overlooked something when I read about dyndns.

How have you configured it regarding the site? Wasnt it too hard?

What kind of records do you have to create at the site? A pointer?

It's easiest to do this from the machine you want to create a name for, as the dyndns site will auto-detect the IP address.

Just follow "Dynamic DNS" link from the home page (at http://www.dyndns.org) and follow the instructions. It should take about 5 minutes.

You will need to sign up for an account, and then add your machine to your host list. It really is that simple.

This router also has the ability to handle dynamic dns so I might just go ahead and try it.

That's the most difficult bit dealt with, then. You don't have to have any additional software running on your machine, and the router will automatically inform dyndns after renewing the DHCP lease from your ISP. Your router should have instructions on how to do this; you will probably need to enable dynamic dns and enter your host name and account information.

It's all up and running!

I havent had the slightest clue about this service. The most convenient way tough!

They also have services like ip cloaking, MX host backup and superior dns.

Never mind, that I dont even know what some of those services are ! :D

You guys both deserve a good pint for helping me out!

Thanks again sellis, Qchem!

:dance:

Excellent news! I'm glad you got it working in the end.

You guys both deserve a good pint for helping me out!

No problem! Just passing on the recommendation - I asked a similar question about how to connect using VNC to a machine behind a NAT router, over on this thread:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtop...63entry168163

So we should all really thank "papaschtroumpf" for the original suggestion.