1st Step into the Unknown

Guest sover

Guest sover

Hi all,

I've just set my self a task of seeing what Linux is about. I'm in the middle of downloading the 10.1 dvd via bittorrent. After trolling mandrake's website and some of the forums there. I hear everyone raving about KDE 3.3, now from wha I understand, the dvd only comes with 3.2?

Is it easy to upgrade and if so where can I get this upgrade from. Must it be from Mandrake or can I download it from KDE?

Also, I'm a windows man and have NEVER touched Linux, so can you recommend any books, etc..

Thanks!

Stu..

I'd say: with 3.2 from the dvd, make sure you update your system - usb key problems all around if you don't.

The kde3.3 is included in the dvd, but no updates for that, so it's not really supported.

So I would use Thacs but I have yet to find a truely compelling reason to use kde3.3 instead of 3.2...

Guest sover

Well all,

I took the step... into a BIG hole.. lol

Now then...

I have 4 HD with windows file system on them, have to I get them to work?

Heard something about mounting them?

Also,

Crit. Updates.. once you download and install.... are they really installed?

Do I have to do anything else but click the button(s)?

Thanks all...

During the installation process, your Windows drives should have been detected and mounted automatically. When I was dual booting with XP, that's what happened anyway.

So if you're using KDE, open up Konqueror and browse to /mnt and you should be able to see them there. Be warned, however that you probably won't be able to write to the ntfs formatted drives. You can read data offa them, but not write back. This is because the ntfs system is so complicated that stable linux code has yet to be developed that lets you write directly to the ntfs partition. Currently, any attempt to do so could result in a permanantly FUBARed partition. Bummer.

Linux can read/write to a FAT32 partition just fine though. So when I needed to get info back and forth from Windows, I created a small FAT32 partition so that both could read/write to it.

Anyway, on to your other question. This is one of the beauties of Linux, you almost NEVER have to reboot. Once the updates are downloaded and installed through the Mandrake updater in the menu (system->packaging->updates) they're GOOD TO GO. No more messing around needed.

Awesome, no?

Being a recent convert myself, I gotta tell ya that you're gonna love the MandrakeLinux thing!

Have Fun

Nate :lol:

edit: I should add that the reason stable linux code has yet to be developed is that M$ won't release info about their proprietary filesystem.

Edited by nchancock