Future of Mandrake Linux

fahd

Really mandrakelinux is the most easy-to-install and easy-to-use in the linux distro era. I have been using linux for 9 years. I tried the all existed linux distros, from debian, redhat, slackware, suse to my favourite distro Mandrake Linux. Just look back and around, you find that redhat and suse made a big mistake. Redhat abandoned it's devilopment and created a community version, named Fedora. The community means that developers are working in part-time. Since they have not enough income, they will not be content to spend a lot of time to improve a linux product, therefore there will not be good stuff. The linux fans all over the world are eager to use such "charge-free" linux, but not always the "charge-free" product means the high quility product. Just think of it , the FOSS (Free Open Source Software) means that you can feel free to use linux-based OS and even linux apps. You are no more facing the charge of software theft, reading a lot of pages of "End User License Agreements" or alike. Really FOSS means freedom. So that I feel Fedora is not the best solution even for the poor people, who can not pay more money, after spending at least 800 us $.. for a pc. I have installed fedora FC3 four times on my computer (iD925XCV chip set), and lastly I deleted it, cause it was so poor.

SuSE linux is the another story. SuSE has not provided the world 's poor people (who have only 800 us $ or so) with a free version excluding the technical suupport. It is pure commercial product, with no sense to make linux a popular OS wholethe world. SuSE has realtively made a good job, especially for home users. Unfortunately all these things seem to evaporate, since it has been bought by Novell. My first feeling was that, Novell is a giant company which is aiming to acquire a big part in the software market . It does not care of us as above mentioned poor linux fans. Thus we are not expecting a lot from microsoft-like company who is focusing on enterprise environments with a thousands of license agreements, and be a Novell strategy obliged linux user. Is this the FOSS basic principle? It is not matter to make profit from suse linux, but this will be focused strongly on supporting existed Novell systems. Step by step you will not be able to buy this product because simply it will be expensive and strongly license dependent, in other words maybe another microsoft empire.

In fine, Mandrake linux becomes the simplest and strongest world-community beloved linux distro, in spite of its drawbacks. Whenever I install, use and delete it I return back to it. This means that it is still the most greatest and cheapest linux product I have ever seen yet. One thing should be taken in consideration: DON'T ALLOW TO SELL MANDRAKESOFT AS happened with suse.

More success to Mandrakesoft and to its poor fans all over the world. Go ahead.

Dubish Fahd

Budapest

I think your way off on fedora/red hat :P

Parttime? It's the fastest paced distro out there, I'm not sure what your idea of part time is, but I would hate to work full time if I was them.......

Improve? It has the newest features pretty much before anyone else,

I'm going on a limb here and guessing you don't really know what your talking about :D

Edited by cybrjackle

yeah, SuSE have a free FTP install and have done forever. I think they even do free ISOs now, don't quote me though. cybr, I wouldn't say Fedora (or anyone) has new features before anyone else. From my observation, Rawhide, Cooker, and Ubuntu unstable are updated at pretty much the same pace, with debian sid usually a tad behind. Differences in the feature sets of released versions occur purely because of differing release cycles.

Guest linuxuser
SuSE linux is the another story. SuSE has not  provided the world 's poor people (who have only 800 us $ or so) with a free version excluding the technical suupport. It is pure commercial product, with no sense to make linux a popular OS wholethe world. SuSE has realtively  made a good job, especially for home users. Unfortunately all these things seem to  evaporate, since it has been bought by Novell. My first feeling was that, Novell is a giant company which is aiming to acquire a big part in the software market . It does not care of us as above mentioned poor linux fans. Thus we are not expecting a lot from microsoft-like company who is focusing on enterprise environments with a thousands of license agreements, and be a Novell strategy obliged linux user. Is this the FOSS basic principle? It is not matter to make profit from suse linux, but this will be focused strongly on supporting existed Novell systems. Step by step you will not be able to buy this product because simply it will be expensive and strongly license dependent, in other words maybe another microsoft empire.

This harsh criticism of SUSE/Novell is IMHO not fair.

Since Novell bought SUSE there have been downloadable isos, for the first time.

You could download 9.1 Personal: 1 CD iso was not a lot, I know, yet fully functional, except for compiling tools, and with proprietary plugins. Downloadin the Pro stuff, either by using apt4rpm or YaST was a trivial matter.

Now you can download a 3.2 Gig DVD 9.2 iso: true, the original one is over 7 Gig, but there are quite a few apps in 3.2 Gig, and again everything else is easily downloadable.

I'll go even further: a group of users organized several torrents of the Pro edition. One of them phoned Novell and asked how they felt about it. Novell said it was OK with them: they want as many young people as possible to get to know linux.

You can download Sles and Novell Desktop as "a free trial", which means that you can keep them anyway.

I don't know what they could do more to convince people.

Now if you ask me about their true motivations, I don't know, they are a business after all. But so is Mandrake.

As to any linux distro becoming another microsoft empire, that seems impossible to me: there are more than 350 distros to choose from!

I think cybr's got it right here, firstly fedora is still worked on mainly by the same redhat egineers, the community aspect of it still hasn't got of the ground the way they would like it to! Secondly, redhat through fedora do contribute some major advances before anyone else, look at how they've integrated "secure linux" from the NSA and how they're pushing forward the building of all packages with gcc4.

Don't get me wrong, mandrake is a great distro - I just hate it that too many people are too quick to bash redhat.

I think cybr's got it right here, firstly fedora is still worked on mainly by the same redhat egineers, the community aspect of it still hasn't got of the ground the way they would like it to! Secondly, redhat through fedora do contribute some major advances before anyone else, look at how they've integrated "secure linux" from the NSA and how they're pushing forward the building of all packages with gcc4.

Don't get me wrong, mandrake is a great distro - I just hate it that too many people are too quick to bash redhat.

here here :D

or is it

hear hear, ah who cares :P