lost my hdb

derxen

After MCC crashed for some reason (don't know why), I can't mount my cd-rom anymore. % mount /mnt/cdrom gives 'special device /dev/hdb does not exist'. When I do hardware detection, it says the new device file is ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd.

Can anyone tell me how to get hdb back?

Many thanks in advance!

derxen

Here it is:

/dev/hda5 / ext2 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext2 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

derxen

I think the sym links for hdb might be screwed up, at least that's my theory. To test it, as root try mounting hdb directly with the following command:

# mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom

Obviously, do so with a data cd in hdb.

Also, do you have a link in /dev named "cdrom" and if so, where does it point?

Keep following it back. Where does /dev/hdb point? From your prior post it should be pointing to /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd.

Sorry, my mistake: /dev/hdb is an empty folder, not file. There is no file /dev/hdb.

How do I find the file that points to /dev/ide/host0/etcetera?

derxen

We can create symlinks back to the /dev/ide/host0/blah,blah which mcc>hardware>hardware list gave you as the appropriate file for your cdrom. Before doing that, let's check for the obvious. If you dual boot, does your cd drive work OK in windows? Just want to eliminate any hardware problem before we start. If you don't dual boot, try inserting Mandrake install CD1 and reboot to see if you get the install screen. This will give some indication that the drive is functioning hardware-wise.

All the links I asked you about are links that exist in my /dev for each of my cd drives. You apparently have none of them. All of these diferent links point back to the appropriate /dev/ide/host0/busx/targetx/lunx/cd for the drive in question. I just tried explicitly mounting the /dev/ide/host0/blah,blah thing as root and it worked. Before we go creating a bunch of symlinks to this file, put a data cd in the drive and try mounting it as root like so:

# mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd /mnt/cdrom

# ls /mnt/cdrom

If it works, you will have to unmount the drive as follows to get your cd out:

#umount /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd

Also, if this does work, post back we can create the appropriate symlinks to the file. There may be an easier way of doing this so if anyone knows feel free to chime in.

No, I don't dual-boot anymore. I'll try mounting /mnt/cdrom on /dev/ide/etcetera in two days, when I'm back behind my computer again.

I really appreciate your help. Also, I'm learning a lot about devices in Linux. Question: why this set-up with the sym-links, why not just one /dev/file to mount the cdrom on?

derxen

Right, back behind the machine. So I tried to mount a data cd with

% mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd /mnt/cdrom, and I get 'special device /dev/ide/host0/etcetera does not exist'. When I do

% mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0 /mnt/cdrom, I get '/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0 is not a valid block device'.

derxen