Modules on Installing Lap modem

Jza

I got a DELL Inspiron 4000 with a Lucent Modem which I havent been able to install even using the scanModem and after upgrading to the latest kernel which was supported according to ScanModem utility from linmodem.

Now the issue ist hat the .ko files (modules) are not recognized once doing the modprobe.

The error files is basically says that the .ko failed to be recognized. I hope anyone can help me since I have been struggling this for :furious3::furious3:

Did you do 'depmod -ae' (the command that lets the kernel know there are new modules).

What is the exact error message?

WARNING: Error inserting lt_modem (/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-24mdk/extra/lt_modem.ko): Invalid module format

FATAL: Error inserting lt_serial (/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-24mdk/extra/lt_serial.ko): Invalid module format

I did used the depmod -a (not e because it wasnt on the manual) however I dont think that has to do with the actual loading of the modules.

Edited by Jza

So on linmodems.org they told me to get the source of my kernel and compile against my source kernel headers. I just download kernel-source-2.6.8-24mdk.i586.rpm

I urpmi it and now I wonder what do do :|

I dont fine it anymore under /usr/lib/modules/2.8..../ and I think it might be under /usr/src/ instead but my question remains how can I compile it against the source now since before was pointing to the binary, is there an autodetect?

Sorry, first timer doing this.