Connection

Bus: ide

Device ID: 0

Misc

Old device file: /dev/hdb4

Model: ZIP 100 ATAPI

Disk controller: 0

New devfs device: /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part4

The file system is set for automatic, the mount point is /mnt/zip/ and the device is set for supermount. There is a ZIP icon on the desktop, but when I double click on it, konquerer opens with an empty window. :wall:

I'd really like to use my ZIP drive. It's a fast and easy way to transfer files that won't fit on a floppy without the time involved in burning a CDRW.

Please help me troubleshoot/configure my drive.

TIA

Don

My PC:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+

PCChips MB, SiS650 GUI 2D/3D Accelerator, SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator, SiS900 10/100 Ethernet, SiS 740 Host-to-PCI Bridge, 5591/5592 AGP, SiS962 [MuTIOL Media IO], SiS 5513 [iDE], SiS 7001 USB, SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Controller, SiS961/962 SMBus Controller.

Fujitsu‎MPC3064AT

Iomega ZIP 100 ATAPI

Lite-On Technology Corp.‎LTR-16101B CDRW

TDK DVDRW0404N DVD-RW

H1440 floppy

PS/2 optical mouse

HP psc 1310 series all-in one printer/scanner

Best Data 56SX-92 external serial modem

KDS Visual Sensations VS195

Edited by dsholden

For my ATAPI zip-250, all that was needed was to modprobe module ide-floppy, and then mount it normally. I agree that the desktop icon is misleading and frustrating.

To do this, open a shell window, su to root, and issue command:

modprobe ide-floppy

You should hear the zip drive get accessed right away.

After this, you can mount the drive the normal way.

To make this permanent, add this command to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, somewhere near the bottom. Why Mandrake doesn't do something like this automatically, I don't know...

Enjoy your zip drive!

Guest bruno_p

I had the same problem with my internal zip 100.

I had the line :

ide-floppy

to the /etc/modprobe.preload file

And i modify the /etc/fstab because i have to mount /dev/hdb1 intead of /dev/hdb4

To do this, open a shell window, su to root, and issue command:

modprobe ide-floppy

You should hear the zip drive get accessed right away. 

After this, you can mount the drive the normal way.

Is the normal way double-clicking on the zip icon?

To make this permanent, add this command to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, somewhere near the bottom.

I'm a TOTAL noob here. could you explain in english, as in:

in (program name or console) type ab c 123 <enter>

Method without command line:

1. Press Alt+F2

2. Type:

kdesu Kate

- this will launch kate (text editor) with root permissons - of course you can choose any text editor you like

3. Type your root password in the dialog box that asks for it

4. Open the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local (file name is rc.local and directory name is /etc/rc.d/ )

5. As suggested, somewhere near the bottom, add the line:

modprobe ide-floppy

5. Save the document and close the text editor

Thanks, Darkelve. Did as told but still no go. When I double click on the zip icon a blank konqueror window opens. I know the disk has files on it. When I try to copy a .txt file to the zip window, I get the error mssg "Could not write to /mnt/zip/test.txt".

This is the end of my edited rc.local file:

(truncated file info)

elif [ -f /etc/security/msec/issue.net ]; then

cat /etc/security/msec/issue.net > /etc/issue.net

else

rm -f /etc/issue.net

fi

modprobe ide-floppy

fi

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

Do I have the line in the correct place? Is my zip icon linked to the right mount point? Am I crazy? :screwy:

Edited by dsholden

I don't know if this makes a difference but the zip is the master drive to a dvd writer slave on the second ide cable. The first ide id the master hard drive & slave cdrw.

Is this the best layout?

UPDATE: First IDE cable is hard drive=master, zip=slave. Second IDE cable has CD-RW=master, DVD-RW=slave.

Hard drive and CDs work fine; ZIP still no working :wall: .

Edited by dsholden

I too tried the idea of adding "modprobe ide-floppy" to my rc.local. It doesn't work. For whatever reason, Mandrake 10.1 (at least CE, which I am running) needs the zip disk to be in the drive before it will work. In my case, the ATAPI zip disk is hdb, and MDK will only create /dev/hdb4 if the zip disk is in the drive when I issue the modprobe command. So, I have created a little script, and tied it to a KDE menu item called "mount Zip Disk". The script simply does the modprobe, sleeps for a second, and then does the mount. Works like a champ. I created a similar "unmount Zip Disk" menu item that does a umount of /mnt/zip and then an rmmod of ide-floppy. This yields a repeatable set of commands that can be used over and over.

I'm running Community 10.1 as well. The ZIP disk is in the drive all the time unless I need data on another PC. I have 2 drives and about 10 or so 100Mb disks that aren't being used at present. Would you please post the scripts you made along with instructions on how to implement them? Otherwise, I've all but given up on the ZIP until the next Mandrake release. :unsure:

Ok, here are the scripts I am using:

To mount the drive, I have a script called mount-zip250, which appears below:

#!/bin/sh

# mzip - Shell script to mount internal ATAPI Zip 250 disk on Mandrake 10.1 CE
#        with 2.6.8.1-24 kernel

# Usage: mount-zip250

sudo modprobe ide-floppy
sleep 1
mount /dev/hdb4

# All Done!

To unmount the drive, I have a script called umount-zip250, which appears below:

#!/bin/sh

# uzip - Shell script to unmount internal ATAPI Zip 250 disk on Mandrake 10.1 CE

# Usage: umount-zip250

umount /mnt/zip
sudo rmmod ide-floppy

# All Done!

That's it!

Thanks, Darkelve.  Did as told but still no go.  When I double click on the zip icon a blank konqueror window opens.  I know the disk has files on it.  When I try to copy a .txt file to the zip window, I get the error mssg "Could not write to /mnt/zip/test.txt".

This is the end of my edited rc.local file:

(truncated file info)

elif [ -f /etc/security/msec/issue.net ]; then

cat /etc/security/msec/issue.net > /etc/issue.net

else

rm -f /etc/issue.net

fi   

modprobe ide-floppy   

fi

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

Do I have the line in the correct place?  Is my zip icon linked to the right mount point?  Am I crazy?  :screwy:

I don't like the looks of 'modprobe ide-floppy in the the middle of if/fi statements. Put your custom commands all the way at the end of the file and add a carriage return as, once, I had trouble without the empty new line at the end of a config file.

Beyond that, I thought I read that you have to mount the floppy after ide-floppy is loaded. You can check if it is loaded by typing lsmod as root or you can load it manually by typing modprobe ide-floppy as root.

I don't know exactly what you need to do, I have a zip I have never been able to use, I was just reacting to the placement of the 'modprobe' line in rc.local :)

Edited by rolf

Ok, here are the scripts I am using:

To mount the drive, I have a script called mount-zip250, which appears below:

#!/bin/sh

# mzip - Shell script to mount internal ATAPI Zip 250 disk on Mandrake 10.1 CE

# Usage: mount-zip250

sudo modprobe ide-floppy
sleep 1
mount /dev/hdb4

# All Done!

To unmount the drive, I have a script called umount-zip250, which appears below:

#!/bin/sh

# uzip - Shell script to unmount internal ATAPI Zip 250 disk on Mandrake 10.1 CE

# Usage: umount-zip250

umount /mnt/zip
sudo rmmod ide-floppy

# All Done!

That's it!

Thanks, mac57. Please forgive me for being a total newbie. How do I implement these scripts? Do I save the text as a file? What file extention should I use? Where does the file go? I hope these requests help other noobs like me learn a bit about the linux system.

TIA

Don