hello - new here

enolagay

hi all,

this is my first time on this forum.

i shall tell you my problem.

i have downloaded mandrake 10.1 on 3 cds and have indeed checked them.

now i have got a spare hard drive which has been formatted.

and connected to my pc as the primary master.

i have altered bios to 1st boot from cd but it will not do anything, all it says is 'press any key to restart', which i done 999 times the cd drive light flickers ect but will not do anything.

i tested the same drive with an xp disc and it works fine.

when i explore any of the 3 cds via xp they all have a file on them which windows says it cannot read. so i know there is 'stuff' on them, as it were.

i downloaded these via broadband and used good quality media.

i would love to know what is wrong as i am slightly confused to say the least.

any help will be most welcome.

regards

Here are two easy mistakes to make.

(1) Checking the md5sum of the ISOs, but not telling your burning program to verify the burn or vice versa

(2) Burning them as data instead of disk images (ISOs). Make sure you set your burn program to burn it as a bootable ISO.

Here are two easy mistakes to make.

(1) Checking the md5sum of the ISOs, but not telling your burning program to verify the burn or vice versa

(2) Burning them as data instead of disk images (ISOs). Make sure you set your burn program to burn it as a bootable ISO.

thanks

but how do i check this md5sum of the iso's?and not tell my burning prog to verify ect?

i simply dragged and dropped the files into my blank cds using just xp. hence no actual burning software as such.

although im probably asking too much but i think i virtually need step by step instructions for this.

i have read many posts on this topic on here but just cant seem to get it to go.

im looking forward to using mandrake, eventually!

thanks once again.

fantastic!

thanks guys, it worked almost a treat.

i now have a pretty cool installation of mandrake.

on the second cd it said a few files were missing an to click on the continue buttton anyway, which i did. and does not seem to have affected it at all.

and i still absolutley have no idea at all what the md5sum check programme is for which i downloaded.

all i need to do now is get my telewest broadband modem to work with it and im laughing.(which is the main reason i wanted mandrake)

ive looked all over for advice on how to set my modem up.

should i start a new post for this topic or keep this one going?

thanks for the advice.

regards

Edited by enolagay

The md5sum program uses a mathematical algorithm for generating a checksum number based on the contents of a CD (byte by byte). If the checksum number you download (generated by the author of the CD) is the same as your computer generates, then your CD is an accurate reflection of the one originally created. If any bytes are scrambled during download or for other reasons, then the generated number will be different, indicating that you have an CD image that is different.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sover

The problem with using XP to burn cd's is that it will only be viewable to any XP OS. If you tried to read it in any other OS, it will not work.

I have tried this with 2k, ME and 98

MOO!