cdrom does not exist

Guest Metal Fanatic

Guest Metal Fanatic

I just recently installed Mandrake 9.0 and everything went very smooth. When I insert a cd into the cdrom, I can view the contents of the cd in konqueror. But when I try to copy a file or move a file, an error message pops up that says "mnt/cdrom/file or directory does not exist". So I tried the command line by changing to the /mnt/cdrom/ directory and typing ls. The contents of the cd are listed but the error message about the file or directory does not exist shows up. Please help :)

Guest Metal Fanatic

Here is my /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hdb6 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c2 vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0

I disabled my supermount, but when I wrote supermount -disable, while under su (root), it stated that I had to make the changes directly in the /etc/fstab file. I tried, but I had no idea what to eliminate or change. Therefore I went into the Mandrake Control Center - Mount Points - CD-Rom - Options, and choose 'user' and 'noauto', and deselected 'supermount'. That resolved the problem, and supermount is now disabled.

Kieth

Metal Fanatic,

The real culprit is the mandrake configurator which has produced this useless entry in /etc/fstab:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

I faced exactly the same problem. Change the word none to /mnt/cdrom and ur problem will go away. Ur problem has nothing to do with supermount.

While supermount is buggy as hell, u can still read cds and burn cds with supermount enabled. But as the others have suggested, disabling supermount will make ur life easier. U can disable supermount by running (as root);

supermount -i disable. Once u have done it, there is no need to reboot at all. Just unload the supermount kernel module (as root):

modprobe -vr ide-cd

modprobe -vr cdrom

modprobe -vr floppy

umount /mnt/cdrom

umount /mnt/floppy

modprobe -vr supermount

This will disable supermount. Now reload the cd and floppy modules:

modprobe -v ide-cd

modprobe -v floppy

Now u should be able to access ur removable drives but u have to mount and umount manually.