Games on widescreen Laptops?

Guest AdamXerxes

Guest AdamXerxes

I have a Dell 8600c wich works fine under Mandrake 10.1, i use it for work, divx dvd:s you name it...

no problems what so ever.

Then a couple of weeks back i feelt like playing some games, so i went to Transgaming.com and bought cedega and installed it on my laptop.

First game to be installed was Call of Duty, installation went ok so i fired up the game and it started up in the left corner of the screen with the rest of the screen all black, so i tried to change the reesolution and it changed resolution but wouldnt go fullscreen, tried to install other games and they all installed fine but had the same behavior, left corner rest of screen black.

Next test was to install some native linux games like Q3, dl:d the linux demo and installed it and it gave me the same behaviour (left corner rest of screen black).

Any one with some idea on how to solve this problem, i have read and read but not found any solution.

The games runs smooth, and glxgears gives me around 2000fps

Setup:

Mandrake 10.1

Dell 8600c

Ati 9600pro 1680x1050

Ibm 7200rpm 60Gb

Edited by AdamXerxes

Guest AdamXerxes
Try bumping your computer's res out of widescreen and into 1024x768 or another standard res like that. When you play the games, they'll fill the whole screen then.

The X server dont let me change resolution, it doesnt let me use any other res than 1680x1050.

Nothing in XF86config that could help me out here?

hmm It might not be a resolution problem could be a video card problem. On my laptop I have a ATI Mobility M6 ( which is very crappy ) and when ever I can't run games the same problem happeneds. I'm only able to run a few games, however non of the ones that you have named

Things you can try:

You can try fiddeling with the screen res. some more, but It might come down to wether or not you have the ATI drivers. If you do have the ATI drivers installed, then it might be a problem with the res. after all. But if not I would deff. give them a try, and I'm 99% sure that the ATI linux drivers support that video card that you have listed.

There is some posts in the " Tips and Tricks " forum, go in there an look around, there a quite a few awesome how-to's.

Also try running simple games that might have come pre-installed when you installed Linux. Such games can be BZFlag, TuxRace and a few other ( urpmi bzflag or urpmi tuxracer )

So once again, check to see if you can run the basics of games & if you have the ATI drivers. If not then you might want to give those drivers a spin, like I said I'm pretty sure tha they support your video card, but double check just to be sure.

Good Luck :thumbs:

-Luis