Tuxmagazine - free Linux magazine

Darkelve

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/

A monthly magazine geared to the Linux beginner with articles, tutorials, tips & tricks, hardware and software reviews; free digital-only subscriptions distributed in PDF format.

First issue: http://download2.ssc.com/tux/TUX_Issue1_March2005.pdf

Credits for reporting this go to famewolf from the www.suseforums.net board.

Impressive, simply impressive.

Everything from the design, to the layout and the content down is well composed and done. It looks like a professional magazine, it reads like one too. The tutorials are very well done and cover things in an amazingly friendly way. Even its form, horizontal, is pure genious, making it readable on the average computer screen without scrolling.

While it offers nothing new to the experienced user, it's the perfect thing for the newbie.

Would be awesome if i could give a print version of these to anyone I introduce...

:D

iphitus

Almost a shame that such a pretty magazine has no 'advanced user' articles.. :(

Erm... its target audience is the absolute newbie... there's always magazines like LinuxFormat, LinuxJournal etc. for you. Think about it, the 'absolute' Linux n00b had none up to now and that's exactly the point of the magazine, I think.

I must admit it made me discover how cool kaudiocreator is and what you can do with Digikam. I think I have an older version of Digikam however, cause I don't have a 'tag' menu or the option to 'print a calendar'.

(1 of) the big strength(s) of this magazine is that it helps the user new to Linux to discover and leverage (as in: make use of) the multitude of free and excellent software out there.

Just a note from one of the *grunts* at the mag :)

I'm just a grunt, so I don't really know much about the editorial state

of things but if any of you guys are interested in writing something for

the magazine contact the editor (editor@tuxmagazine.com) with your

ideas.  Looks like there's plenty of advanced stuff on your site also.

Some of you may have fun with this..