Mandrake does not recognize ethernet card [solved]

rubeno

Just an explanation....

you compile a driver against a kernel.

What that means is when you compiler a kernel you leave hooks for modules to be 'velcro'd' onto... the hooks have to fit the fluffy bits.

The kernel is already compiled so you don't need to worry but what you need is the definition of these hooks so that when you compile the module (driver) it will fit them snug and air tight.

What you really need is the kernel headers and config file but its will be easier to just install the source from the CD. This includes this and more.

Then when you compile your module it looks at the headers and makes a compatible module :D

If you have internet access another way you can use urpmi over the web but if you have no access until the network card is working then you should look on the CD's using thew control centre install software ... (search for kernel-source and find the one with the same as you have :D )

Qchem and Gowator,

It works now guys!!! :D Thanks a lot!!!! :thanks: It took me a while to understand what you guys meant, but I figured out that I should load the package called "kernel source". I did, except that my kernel is

2.6.3-7mdksmp

and the only one that appeared was

2.6.3-7mdk

I figured that it was worth a try and I loaded it. After that, I reinstalled the driver given on the broadcom site, with the only change being that the package it created was the "i586" one instead of the "i386", as the instructions given within had said!

Once I did that, I just installed the network using MCC and now I am writing to you from my new computer!!!

Thanks a lot guys!!!

I have a couple of other things I want to consult the experts, but I'd create a new thread for them (and they are not network related!!!).

Thanks a lot guys! I do appreciate your help a lot, and I did learn quite a bit!!

rubeno

Edited by rubeno