Almost converted my brother...

Urza9814

Hey, my bro has been having MASSIVE problems with his XP...he never takes care of it and it takes about a half hour to boot up...so I was talking to him about Linux (long story...started out about some new programming book he got...python or something) and anyways, he said he wanted it...but he needs some good programs first. So I'm looking for:

Replacement for Soundforge and/or Acid Pro

Way to play Everquest? I know it's probably not possible (well, for free...), but I figured I'd mention it...

Music program. This is the big one. He WANTS:

1) look up music on CDDB

2) take the music, once found, and put in the proper tags and rename the actual file to a certain format

3) show the album art and stuff

He currently uses ITunes...so if there's a port of that or something similar, that should be ok...or some way to make that run...

Oh, and is 10.1/10.2 a large step up from 9.2? I only tried 10.0 CE...and it didn't seem much different, except it ran really slow on my 667. Just wondering if it's worth re-downloading all the ISOs for, or if I should just keep with 9.2 for now.

music stuff, check the MDK Audio Workstation HOWTO, just Google it or look on the wiki or the Club. Everquest, probably will have to be Cedega I think. Music, there are lots of *rippers* that do that - I use goobox, there's also sound-juicer and grip for GTK/GNOME, dunno what KDE people use. If you mean he downloads MP3s and wants this information filled in for them automatically, I think there are apps that do that, but I don't know them for sure.

NO, I don't think that's what he wants. CDDB is for looking up info on real CD's. Even KSCD, the most basic CD playing program I've found for linux uses CDDB lookup. And as far as I know, all of the ripping programs included with mandrake can do CDDB lookup. In any case, there's no problem there.

For EQ, I know that many people have ahd good results running it with cedega, which will cost you at least $15 to get the full version, but that's not bad. I'f you're talking about EQ2, then you better check out http://www.transgaming.org/forum and see what people are saying.

Hey, my bro has been having MASSIVE problems with his XP...he never takes care of it and it takes about a half hour to boot up...so I was talking to him about Linux (long story...started out about some new programming book he got...python or something) and anyways, he said he wanted it...but he needs some good programs first. So I'm looking for:

Audacity or Rosegarden. Unfortunately there is nothing quite like Acid Pro or (even better) Ableton Live, but they might run with emulators.
Way to play Everquest? I know it's probably not possible (well, for free...), but I figured I'd mention it...
Cedega - www.transgaming.com - there is a free version, but I'd recommend the paid for version. It runs a heap of Windows games and only costs $5 a month.
Music program. This is the big one. He WANTS:

1) look up music on CDDB

Grip
2) take the music, once found, and put in the proper tags and rename the actual file to a certain format
Grip, XMMS, Rhythmbox (especially)
3) show the album art and stuff

He currently uses ITunes...so if there's a port of that or something similar, that should be ok...or some way to make that run...

iTunes will also run with Cedega^. Musicmatch jukebox has a Linux port (a little outdated though), Rhythmbox is great for organisational stuff and artwork is all over the net (think amazon.com ;) ) if none of those work out.
Oh, and is 10.1/10.2 a large step up from 9.2? I only tried 10.0 CE...and it didn't seem much different, except it ran really slow on my 667. Just wondering if it's worth re-downloading all the ISOs for, or if I should just keep with 9.2 for now.
10 is great and 10.1 better ;) I'd recommend getting the latest version.

XMMS? I don't think you're quite understanding what he needs...I mean automatically do that...not manually.

XMMS? I don't think you're quite understanding what he needs...I mean automatically do that...not manually.

You can "put in the proper tags" (your words), not online, with XMMS, but I was more just listing it as another piece of software when discussing mp3s.

You'll notice I mentioned others as well, but if it's an issue, I could go back and edit out XMMS...

A side note about converting people. You need to be careful about who you convert, because the reality as that linux is still deffinately NOT at a place where anyone can use it. It's getting there, but it's not there yet.

When you try and convert someone, you need to make sure they understand how very different some things are. And how much harder they are going to have to work utill they get a hold of things.

A side note about converting people. You need to be careful about who you convert, because the reality as that linux is still deffinately NOT at a place where anyone can use it. It's getting there, but it's not there yet.

When you try and convert someone, you need to make sure they understand how very different some things are. And how much harder they are going to have to work utill they get a hold of things.

Yea, I know, but he's decent at programming (VB, Java, learning Python, etc..) and he already uses litestep, so I figure he won't have many problems.

I'm having a problem getting it installed though. When I try to resize the windozs partition (through both use extra space and custom options) it says 'ntfsresize failed...' '...cluster accounting failed' And, knowing Linux can't read NTFS, I tried partitioning with Boot It NG...and it sat there for about an hour...and apparently did nothing. So anyone know of a way to do this?

And another note about the music...when he said look it up in CDDB...he apparently meant the individual songs. He says WMP has an option called 'get file info' or something that will look it up and give a few choices...I guess it uses the file name or tags or something....but that's what he wants, if possible.

And another note about the music...when he said look it up in CDDB...he apparently meant the individual songs. He says WMP has an option called 'get file info' or something that will look it up and give a few choices...I guess it uses the file name or tags or something....but that's what he wants, if possible.

- Try EasyTag: http://easytag.sourceforge.net/

OR

Ktag (not 100% sure of the name though)

Linux has read support for NTFS and has had that since a long long time.

With captive ntfs you can write to ntfs too, although slow, I've used it successfully. Google for 'captive ntfs' and you will find lots of info, it's not too hard to set up.

I concur with Veedubb - actually, the most difficult people to switch are the Windows powerusers - those with experience and their own way of working with certain tools they know very well.

Your brother sounds like that type - except that he apparently doesn't have his MSWin machine in check...

But then, many powerusers don't...

It's easier to get a grandma who has no previous computing experience to work with Linux without issues...

So I'm looking for:

Audacity or Rosegarden. Unfortunately there is nothing quite like Acid Pro or (even better) Ableton Live, but they might run with emulators.

Do not try an run audio software through an emulator - it will never be as good and may well simply not be up to the job. Latency can be a problem as it is...

Thanks VeeDubb for the www.transgaming.com site. I have four windows games that were keeping me from dropping windows completely. Now maybe I can lose it. ;)

Thanks iphitus for http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml I haven't looked closely at it yet but it looks promising.

I concur with Veedubb - actually, the most difficult people to switch are the Windows powerusers - those with experience and their own way of working with certain tools they know very well.

Your brother sounds like that type - except that he apparently doesn't have his MSWin machine in check...

I'm proof of that.

[edit]

Though you can't get on my computer and do anything without my finding out about it. Windows tracks everything you do. just a matter of knowing where to look. :o

Edited by bb002

No...he does a lot of audio editing stuff for our band...but that shouldn't be too tough...all those progs are basically the same...and he does mostly web programming...he doesn't know much about windoze...he knows just enough to use ResHacker (after I showed it to him) to edit the menus from his AIM...and write lemonade-stand type games in VB...lol