Internet Through Windows Lan

Guest Stevieo

Guest Stevieo

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a home network set up using windows 2000 server, and two windows machines (flatmates), i have now installed mdk10.0 on my machine and trying to configure it to use the domain for internet access. After i installed mdk everything was working fine but now i can't connect to the internet from the linux box.

Everyother one is fine includeing my laptop with mdk 9.1 (not upgraded it yet). When i use smb4k i can see all the other computers on the network and can ping them all but can not resolve any internet addresses.

In MCC/Network and Internet when i monitor connections i can see activity but it says beside the closed button "no internet connection configutred" in manage connections the ip netmask and gateway are all correctly set and set to use DHCP, however there is no dns servers or search domains i don't know if there should be anything in this.

and finally in internet access the connection type says land but the status is unconnected and everything else is blank.

I'm complettly lost as to where to try now to get the internet working.

thanks in advanced.

Guest Stevieo

I think i've got it working. Well it was last night anyway need to check when i get home its using a wanadoo DSL connection and its windows advanced server 2000 that connects to the net through a switch.

I got it working by defining a static IP and seting the server ip address as the dns server. Ideally i would like it to use DHCP but if i change to DHCP i lose the connection again.

When i first set up the box the network was automatically configured but i used the MCC to set it up last night.

It took lots of playing about but its working at the moment!

However if anyone can help me set it up to use DHCP that would be usefull as i'm trying to just teach my self some large scale networking on a small scale (if that makes sense).

:offtopic: Also where do i find the firewall within mandrake i've not come accross this yet.

Thanks for the reply's.

Stevieo

Guest nommiiss

Give this a try too.

Set your default gateway to the same as the IP Address that is connection to the internet.

Its a little trick to get around using a proxy server.

let me know if that works

Nommiiss

:headbang:

Guest nommiiss
Give this a try too.

Set your default gateway to the same as the IP Address that is connection to the internet.

Its a little trick to get around using a proxy server.

let me know if that works

I reread that and thought that it was a little vague

Ok let me start again

I guess you can still ping the computer that is sharing the internet connection. So now on the mandrake computer set the default gateway on the LAN card to the same as the IP address of the computer that is connected to the internet.

That should get your internet working.

Nommiiss

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang: :woot_jump: