How to print wirelessly to my HP4L

ainsaur

My home computer is using 10.1 with a DSL connection. I also have a Fujitsu Win2000 Professional laptop (my work computer) that wirelessly connects to my DSL. How can I print files from my laptop to my printer (HP4L) without having to send the file to my home computer and then printing it from there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just for clarification, could you explain your network setup a little more? How is the mdk machine connected to the laptop etc.

My mdk machine is physically connected to a DSL modem using an ethernet cable. The modem (brand: "2wire") is also wireless-capable. The win2000 laptop connects to the internet wirelessly (centrino) via the DSL modem. I guess that my real question is "how can I make my windows laptop print to a printer that is connected to a linux computer?"

Hope this helps.

Depending on how your DSL router is managing the connection, you could set up the printer as a samba share on the MDK machine.

In order for the Samba thing to work, you would probably need to have both the Windows and the MDK machines assigned an IP on the same subnet. (I'm not sure how acurate that is, I'm still a'learnin'. :) )

Anyway, once you've got both machines talking to each other with Samba, you can set the printer as shared on the MDK machine and then set it up just like you would any other network printer under windows.

So ... I guess this all depends on what the IP/Subnet mask is for your two machines. Once you find that out, then the rest is fairly easy.

Thats the right idea, adding the machines IP addreses to their hosts files is also a good idea, thats /etc/hosts in linux - I don't remember exactly where in windows this file is located.

I'm pretty sure the mandrake wizards can help with sharing a printer, try looking in mcc

Thats the right idea, adding the machines IP addreses to their hosts files is also a good idea, thats /etc/hosts in linux - I don't remember exactly where in windows this file is located.

I'm pretty sure the mandrake wizards can help with sharing a printer, try looking in mcc

Okay, I'll give it a try. How do I find the IP addresses on either my mdk computer or the windows computer? Also, is there a good ("easy to understand for newbies, like myself") resource on how to configure Samba for printing?

Thanks

You should be able to configure samba for printing through mcc, in an easy GUI way.

From a terminal in linux the command ifconfig will give you your IP address, from a command box in windows ipconfig will do something similar.

Thanks. I now have the IP addresses for both of my computers. I looked at MCC but it's confusing. There are several choices but none of them say "samba". For example, under "Network and Internet", my "Internet Connection Sharing" is already set up as "etho". There is nothing else that says "samba". Where in MCC do I enter the IP addresses so that my computers can see each other?