Internal PCI DSP Venus chipset modem [solved]

dsholden

I've looked around the board and haven't seen this yet. Forgive me if I missed it.

I installed MD Community 10.1 on a whitebox PC with a new Actiontec PCI Master internal modem. This is an internal PCI card with an onboard controller (Lucent/Agere VENUS chipset). The box listed it as compatable with Linux. As a long time PC user (windoze 3.1 & DOS and up) I'm not afraid to edit files, but as a Linux newbie I have no idea where to start. Everything else works fine; CD burning, printer, etc. all OK.

Please point me to the right HOW2s, preferably with step by step instructions that assume I know nothing.

TIA

Don

If it's supported by Linux it should work out of the box and you don't need to do anything :). Have you installed kppp (open a console, type kppp <enter>) ? If not go to the Mandrake Control Center, software, install software. Then run it. If you get any errors post them.

Good luck.

Thanks. KPPP wasn't installed but is now. Still no luck communicating with the modem. In configure/hardware the following info was available about my modem (under misc. devices). It says Venus WinModem, but the label on the box says PCI Master part # PCI56012-02 which is a DSP card (on board controller). I'm also unsure about the last line "Module? unknown". Any help?

Identification

Vendor: ?Lucent Microelectronics

Description: ?Venus WinModem (V90, 56KFlex)

Media class: ?COMMUNICATION_OTHER

Connection

Bus: ?PCI

Bus PCI #: ?0

PCI device #: ?11

PCI function #: ?0

Vendor ID: ?4545

Device ID: ?1152

Sub vendor ID: ?5736

Sub device ID: ?1152

Misc

Module: ?unknown

Translation: module = driver :). It means the driver for the modem isn't installed. So you will have to find what module the card needs. Mandake identifies the card as winmodem and that doesn't sound good. Maybe it's better to contact the company and see if they have a linux driver. Didn't it come with a CD? What is on it?

and read this: http://www.linmodems.org/ Look what chipset your modem has and go from there.

Good luck.

This is my modem:

http://www.actiontec.com/support/modems/pcimaster.html

Company offers free tech service during business hours m-f, $9.95/hour otherwise. Natch it's saturday. :furious3:

This is where I bought it:

http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod.cfm/141...TEC/PCI56012-02

Again, they only answer the phone m-f.

The .pdf file says I should have a communications program like minicom installed. How do I verify this/install if it's not already?

TIA

Don

BTW, CD only has drivers for OS2 and windoze flavors. No linux driver.

PDF manual has instructions on how to get Linux to configure the modem on boot-up that I should be able to follow if I can get the minicom thing figured out. Hope that helps.

Ignorantly yours,

Don

I've been to the linmodems.org site as well as the Mandrake hardware compatability list page. That's how I chose this modem in the first place. I wish I'd bought an external USB modem. They look to be easier to configure, but that may be wishful thinking.

Minicom is now installed. The modem setup instructions are for Redhat 5.2 & 6.0 and I think the file structure for MD10.1 has changed because I get "no such file or directory" warnings when I try to follow the manual (logged in as root# in console). I'll keep slogging away, but I wish I didn't feel like I was reinventing the wheel.

I know the modem works because I have a removable hard drive rack and three separate drives with Win2K, Win98 and Linux Mandrake 10.1 loaded separately. I have dialup under both Windoze flavors. But the more I play in Linux, the more I LIKE it!

I'ts saturday night and my free time is spent working on my operating system; I'm officially a nerd. :P Now if I could only find the adhesive tape for my glasses....

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don

I'm afraid I'm just not ready to configure hardware yet; I can't figure out how to get the modem working. I bought it because it's a controllered modem and I thought it would work with minimal effort on my part.

The good news is that I found an external serial modem for $18.68 :thumbs: online including shipping here:

http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info....roducts_id=3464

I haven't given up on Linux yet, but expecting to know how to wrestle a PCI modem into submission via the command line is more than this newbie can handle at the moment. :screwy:

:thanks:

Don

• 2 weeks later...