/dev/hda8             1.5G  561M  922M  38% /home

/dev/hdb2             6.9G  4.8G  2.1G  71% /mnt/hd

/dev/hda1             1.5G  996M  516M  66% /mnt/win_c

/dev/hda5             4.9G  3.6G  1.3G  74% /mnt/win_d

/dev/hda10            495M   33M  462M   7% /tmp

/dev/hda9             534M   97M  437M  19% /var

{bvc9 01:11 PM bvc9}>

/dev/hdb2 6.9G 4.8G 2.1G 71% /mnt/hd

When I installed ML9.0 months ago it decided to call my slave hd "hd" instead of hdb. No biggy, I guess?, it's my Win98 game drive and I don't need to access it. When I boot to it and rt click My Computer>Properties>Performance tab, instead of it saying "your system is configured for optimal performance", it says

"Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system"

If you highlight it and click a help button this "Help" (yeah right) is displayed

Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

This problem often occurs on more than one drive. Usually it is caused by a driver listed in the Config.sys file that Windows does not recognize and that is related to the message Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance. If you see both messages, see the Help for the Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance message first.

If you only see the message Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system on one drive, that drive is using an MS-DOS compatibility (real-mode) driver, which may reduce that drives performance. Contact your hardware manufacturer to see if an updated driver is available for your drive. If not, the drives performance may be less than optimal, but you can still use it.

There's nothing unusual in config.sys or anywhere that I can find. Although, from ML.9.0>/mnt/hd I found a msdos.--- that was executable who contents was like msdos.sys. I took the exec attributes away and renamed it.

[Paths]

WinDir=C:WINDOWS

WinBootDir=C:WINDOWS

HostWinBootDrv=C

UninstallDir=C:

[Options]

AutoScan=0

BootMulti=1

BootGUI=1

BootKeys=1

BootMenu=0

BootMenuDelay=5

DoubleBuffer=1

DblSpace=0

DrvSpace=0

DisableLog=1

LoadTop=0

Logo=0

So what's the big deal? First, who wants degraded performance, though I hardly play games anymore in win98....ML9.0 is my game now :wink: But every couple of days, with now rhyme or reason, win98 won't boot and just freezes. This was good for getting my wife to try ML9.0 and end up using KDE now :P , but if we do need to go to win98 for the camera or Office 2000, or the hdb win98 game drive so my kids can play the education games and such, this sucks. You never no when it'll boot.

Please don't suggest putting linux and win98 on separate hd's....I had it this way but the slave is slower that the master. I plan to get another hd, but this can't be afforded for a couple more months, so in the meantime I need to fix this, as is.

Thanks for any suggestions!

You seem to be linking the problem with the installation of mdk9. Do you know for sure that the two are linked?

I think the msdos.--- bit is a red herring.This is is a file no longer used by widows as it is equivalent to a .bak or .old file which has been saved as a backup when some newer program overwrote your original msdos.sys. your msdos.sys should be >1024 bytes however and is often padded out with several lines of xxxxxxxx, you might wish to check that.

Have you done anything else such as adding new hardware recently that could have caused a driver conflict?

Thanks for the thoughts. Adding a b to /mnt/hd in fstab would be fine if I rename /mnt/hd to /mnt/hdb..../dev/hdb2 is in fstab.

/dev/hdb2 /mnt/hb vfat  iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Yes, all the msdod.sys's have the compatability xxxx's, and nope, no new hardware or anything. Only the update of the nvidia drivers and install of Tuxracer Full-version :wink: Runs better on linux but the joystick doesn't turn as well, so the kids and I play it in win98 :cry:

Hey, thanks! I think it's related but not exactly like the site explained. A month or so ago while my daughter was playing a kids game, the cdrom went nuts running at high speeds, and when I looked at the tempature it was up to 115f :shock: It normally runs at 85f and even with my intense games 95-100f. After a reboot all was fine. I don't have any performance probs that I can tell, but I haven't played any of my games. Tuxracer is the closest to resource intensive we've played since this happened.

I did everything the the site suggested, and the message is gone from win98 but remains in wingame. If I do anything with diskdrake, and I mean even just look around and not make changes, then boot to windows and start either Norton Disk Doctor, or Partition Magic, they find errors with drive d (game). I haven't used them for over 6 months, I just wanted to see what they say. Last night when trying to help another user here I was at init 3 in diskdrake. When I selected "drive d" It said

"I can't read the partition table of device hdb-it's too corupt for me :( I can try to go on, erasing of bad partitions (ALL DATA WILL BE LOST!) The other solution is to not let DrakX to modify the partition table (the error is extended partition:bad magic number on hdb)"

google advanced didn't pin point anything applicable.

Could a wrong grub config cause this? I don't see why but...

/boot/grub/menu.lst

timeout 3

#color black/cyan yellow/cyan

color light-gray/blue red/blue

i18n (hd0,5)/boot/grub/messages

keytable (hd0,5)/boot/us.klt

default 4

title ML9.0

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi quiet vga=788

initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd.img

title failsafe

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16 root=/dev/hda6 devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi failsafe vga=788

initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd-2.4.19-16.img

title win98

root (hd0,0)

unhide (hd0,0)

hide (hd1,1)

makeactive

chainloader +1

title Game

root (hd1,1)

#rootnoverify (hd0,0)

unhide (hd1,1)

hide (hd0,0)

map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

title My9.0

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16 root=/dev/hda6 devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi quiet vga=788

initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd-2.4.19-16.img

I had a little look around searching with "extended partition:bad magic"

and it looks like there may be an overlapping partition problem, but this is 2nd hand guesswork. I dont think mandrake messed your system though, it just brought the problem to your attention.

Maybe you can live with it, else I suspect you will have to repartition and start afresh. Please dont take my word for it though as I dont really know.

Anyone else?

Download the free Ranish Partition Manager at http://www.ranish.com if you don't have PM. It works on both Windows and Linux and at least may define the problem. Look at the output of Linux fdisk, cfdisk and sfdisk (each presents the information a liitle differently). If you are satisfied you can use parted to fix it if Ranish doesn't come through. There is also a piece of PM floating around the net called Partinfo which works the same in identifying the problem. (If you have or can get PM8, it will manage ext3 partitions. I'm a little uncomforable with that)

Counterspy

Thanks a lot! I'll look into these. I have a feeling I'll be reinstalling though. Today while I was at work the game partition after grub said "invalid disk", and when my wife hit Enter it loaded. So I guess I could live with it as long as it's only the game drive. I'll try some apps/utils this weekend and see what they say.

:oops::oops: :shock: *Sigh* Well, all this because I didn't tell grub to hide the extended partititon on hda when booting "games" on hdb. Which in grub, extended partitions start at 04;

hide (hd0,4)

To boot win98 it needed

unhide (hd0,4)

timeout 3

color black/blue yellow/blue

i18n (hd0,8)/boot/grub/messages

keytable (hd0,8)/boot/us.klt

default 0

title ML9.0

kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi quiet vga=788

initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img

title failsafe

kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi failsafe vga=788

initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img

title win98

root (hd0,0)

unhide (hd0,0)

unhide (hd0,4)

hide (hd1,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

title games

root (hd1,0)

unhide (hd1,0)

hide (hd0,0)

hide (hd0,4)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map (hd0) (hd1)

makeactive

chainloader +1

title floppy

root (fd0)

chainloader +1

How come I haven't had any trouble for 8 months and then do all of a sudden? Oh well, live and learn :) Thanks again for the input!

is it better than lilo?
In my experience yes. A year ago, lilo gave me the "li" screen twice on 2 diff installs. So what does a newbie do?.... reinstall. If something is wrong with the grub config (menu.lst), or with the partition table grub still apears>tries>reappears with an error and allows you to edit from there, very easily. Now that I'm much more experienced than a year ago, I could handle lilo, but why? Grub has never given me a lick of trouble til now and the prob was eaily fixed....once I read the manual :oops: I just didn't think grub would be the prob, since I've been running the same setup with it all this time. Go figure? If you're comfy with lilo and it doesn't give you probs....heh..., why learn grub? I probably wouldn't. I remember doing searches on lilo and then grub, then lilo vs grub, with google advanced and and on the boards and found the probs with lilo were astronomical and grub seemed far more superior. I'm happy! :D