Vnc

Guest dwarthan

Guest dwarthan

I have Mandrake 10.1 and I need to Vnc in to it from a windows xp pc

I do have TightVNC install on the windows and on Mandrake pc.

On the Mandrake pc the Vnc sevres is running and i set up the password ,but ever time i try to log in to it for the windows pc it can not find it.... HELP..I am very new at this ..

thanks of your help

Moved from Software to Networking - Artificial Intelligence

- make sure you got the IP address right:

on the mdk machine type ifconfig in a shell window to get the ndk machine's IP address (say 192.168.1.4 for example)

- not sure how you set up the VNC server, but default it uses port 5900 I believe, but you may have changed it (you could use netstat | grep -i vnc to see which port it's running on). For the sake of argument, let's assume you run it on port 5901

- in the VNC windows client, type the IP address, a colon, and the port minus 5900, i.e. 192.168.1.4:1

- make sure that the windows PC doesn't have a firewall that blocks the outgoing packet (do you have XP service pack2? If so it'll be blocked by default)

hope this helps

VNC can be a bit tricky to run if you're not used to the Linux version. If you try to run it more than once without shutting it down properly, you'll have a bunch of stale lock files lying around. Each lock file causes the screen number to increase by one, which also increases the connection port by one.

My advice is to use the KDE Control Center desktop sharing (krfb), or the Mandrake Control Center desktop sharing (rfbdrake). Both are compatible with the Windows VNC/TightVNC clients.

I've used VNC on both Windoze and Linux a lot the last couple of years with no problems. Fast and stable. But you didn't say what kind of connection you are trying to VNC through. LAN, internet...? If a LAN with static IPs, try the previous suggestions. If you are trying to log into a box using a DHCP connection (like most cable services for instance) then you have no static IP to connect to. You'll need something like GotoMyPC.com to provide a static IP.

I think the part you are probably missing is the same one as I missed a few times starting out, as stated above. When you start vncserver on Linux, it should spit out something like this:

Starting vncserver on display :1

or something like that. Basically, in newbie language, if you only have one true X server running (you would know if you had more, trust me), then vncserver runs on display :1, so on the Windows box, you have to type in <<ip.address.of.linux>>:1

If you don't add the :1 to it, you'll get 'Connection refused' or similar.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rjoerger

I'd like to pose a follow-on question.

I'd like to have VNC running as a service on a MDK10.1 box.

Right now I can log into the MDK10.1 box using VNC if I first

client on the machine I'm using and log in to the MDK10.1 box.

This is on a home network, behind a hardware firewall on my router

with no firewalls on the individual machines.

I've searched the Internet & found multiple descriptions for what to

do but none of them have worked.

I'd be logging into the MDK10.1 server from RealVNC on a WinXP

box and TightVNC from my MDk10.0 laptop.

Again, they both work if I ssh in first & startvnc.

How do I get VNC to run as a service so I don't have to do the

ssh login and startvnc?

Thanks much, Rich

pepper@rjoerger.com