Wifi shopper strikes again [solved]

Havin_it

'ning

So, I'm continuing to build my wifi world. Next step is easy hookup between my laptop and other PCs I meet on the road. A USB adapter seems the best way to go, since every PC I meet is likely to have one(?)

My current PCMCIA card is a Belkin F5D7010, 54g that works pretty well with Linux 2.6 and ndiswrapper 0.8 or better. They have a nice compact USB equivalent, but it's not been much use trying to get Linux compatibility info out of the resellers or Belkin themselves.

Quelle surprise..!

So, I'd love to hear any recommendations/success stories for UK-available 54G 'dongles' known to work well with Linux (esp. Mandy, natch) with a minimum of configgery. Do they use ndiswrapper too? Are the supplied drivers good, or do I need to hunt down others?

Your help much appreciated. I lucked out with the PCMCIA card, but I'd prefer to make an informed decision this time.

Edited by Havin_it

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, I went with the Belkin card in the end as it was in the ndiswrapper list. I hadn't been there in a while I guess, I'm sure they never had any USB cards listed before...

I was surprised that the chipset wasn't the usual Broadcom stuff for 54G, and worried that it didn't install very well on XP, but got it going with another PC and Knoppix talking to my laptop. Huzzah!