Mandrake 10.0 Official and SATA drives

4ebees

Hi there,

I'm considering upgrading to a newer computer.

I've noticed some people having problems installing on SATA drives and so am looking for some advice.

I've noticed that many of them are now being offered with SATA HDDs and am wondering what the status of these is with Mandrake 10.0 Official?

Are there some that work better than others?

Are there any specific issues in relation to particular types of motherboards, SATA drives and Man 10.0?

Are there some mobo/SATA combos to avoid/ aim for?

Thanks.

Edited by 4ebees

Hi 4ebees,

Hope this helps you. I now use a mainboard ASUS A7V600-X which supports SATA, but am running standard EIDE drives on it.

I tried that board with about half a dozen of the really popular Linux distribs, but it always had real big trouble recognizing the drives properly. Mandrake 10.1 was the only Linux I could find that worked properly with this SATA board at all. In other words, MDK 10.1 may well be the only Linux that recognizes this SATA board correctly, so your chances using it with a SATA would probably be best with this distribution.

By the way, Mdk 10.1 worked right correctly straight out of the box with my HP all-in-one psc1100, my digital camera, the mp3 player, the PCI sound card, the modem, etc etc. I've never seen anything like it.

Greets,

Helmut.,

I have a strange setup

2 HDDs (both 80 Gb)

1 is a normal PATA HDD

1 is a SATA HDD

because the speed (8Mb cache) on the SATA (2Mb cache on the PATA) i installed Linux and winblows both on the SATA. Mandrake 10.1 gets it right without any problem.

Debian and Fedore screw up my partition (would not boot in Windows & Linux)

with SATA it is important that you have a 2.6 kernel and ofcourse SATA drivers for your maniboard. Mandrake 10.0 won`t work (with my setup) Mandrake 10.1 will do it flawless :lol:

Hi 4ebees,

Hope this helps you. I now use a mainboard ASUS A7V600-X which supports SATA, but am running standard EIDE drives on it.

I tried that board with about half a dozen of the really popular Linux distribs, but it always had real big trouble recognizing the drives properly. Mandrake 10.1 was the only Linux I could find that worked properly with this SATA board at all. In other words, MDK 10.1 may well be the only Linux that recognizes this SATA board correctly, so your chances using it with a SATA would probably be best with this distribution. 

By the way, Mdk 10.1 worked right  correctly straight out of the box with my HP all-in-one psc1100, my digital camera, the mp3 player, the PCI sound card, the modem, etc etc. I've never seen anything like it.

Greets,

Helmut.,

Thanks for that. I like 10.1 except (as I've noted on another post) it doesn't want to play happily with my scanner - which works PERFECTLY in 10.0! Back to 10.0 I think and IDE. :)

Thanks to everyone who posted.