Can't route anywhere.. (SOLVED)

d3ac0n

Ok, got a strange one here.

I have a network in my house, consisting of several Windows and Linux boxes. I recently gave up trying to get my Asus Wireless card to work AT ALL on an old P2 400 MGZ machine with MDK10.1 using ndiswrapper, and went back to the old Kingston NIC that was already installed and is a "Known-Good" NIC. So I strung the CAT5 cable, crimped and added the ends, tested by pinging all the other machines in my network, and surfed to my firewall's HTTP Admin interface. All successful. However, when I try to surf the web (using firefox), I get "The connection was refused When connecting to <website name>" for all websites. When I try and ping out (as root) to websites, using either URL or IP, I get:

connect: network is unreachable

I tried the IPv6 trick in firefox suggested by (i think) An0n, no joy.

I made sure to completely uninstall ndiswrapper from my machine to ensure that there is no conflict there. I even removed the network connection for eth0 using MCC, rebooted, and created a new connection using all the correct settings. No change.

At this point I'm at a bit of a loss. I have another MDK 10.1 machine (laptop) that connects WIRELESSLY just fine through the EXACT SAME network equipment with no problems at all. I'm about 2 steps from formatting the darn thing and starting over. But I thought I'd give you guys a shot at figuring it out first.

Just in case it's needed, here is my network layout

Cable Modem -> Smoothwall Linux Firewall -> Linksys 4 port switch -> Buffalotech wireless bridge/3 port switch-> Problem MDK box.

The linksys switch has my Win2K DNS/WINS/File Server, my WinXP box, and my Wife's WinXP box off of it, in addition to the Wireless Bridge/Switch.

The Buffalotech Wireless Bridge/Switch connects my MDK 10.1 Laptop wirelessly, and the MDK 10.1 Box I am having problems with via the Fast Ethernet Switch.

My entire network uses a single class C subnet using all static IPs (so no DHCP issues here)

So there you have it. Anybody have any suggestions? 'Cause I'm fresh out of ideas.

Edited by d3ac0n

whats returned by running ifconfig?

Can you paste the contents of /etc/resolv.conf

ifconfig get's me the static IP info I setup. (Can't paste in anything since I am on my WinXP box right now, using a KVM switch to swap back and forth between it and the Problem MDK box)

in case it matters, here's the IP info I have

IP = 10.50.2.2

SN = 255.255.255.0

DG = 10.50.2.1

no DHCP (of course)

DNS = 10.50.2.4 <- my In-house Caching DNS server.

4.2.2.1 <- Backup option, incase my server goes down

4.2.2.2 <- same as above

ok, I "sneakernet"-ed my resolv.conf over to the WinXP machine as a .txt. here it is

search deacon local

# search deacon local deacon local deacon local deacon local deacon local deacon.no-ip.com local deacon.no-ip.com deacon.no-ip.com deacon.no-ip.com local deacon.no-ip.com local deacon.no-ip.com deacon.no-ip.com deacon.no-ip.com local deacon.no-ip.com local deacon.no-ip.com deacon.no-ip.com local deacon.no-ip.com local  deacon.no-ip.com local deacon.no-ip.com local

nameserver 10.50.2.4

nameserver 4.2.2.1

nameserver 4.2.2.2

# nameserver 127.0.0.1

# ppp temp entry

I have no idea what all that commented out stuff is for. (that whole chunk of text is commented out. The transfer to the XP machine messed up the formatting) It may have been generated when I was fighting to get my wireless card working, or during the current problems. But since it's commented out, I would imagine that it's not an issue.

Hope that helps!

anybody have any idea?

I even removed the Wireless bridge and connected the MDK box to the port on the Linksys Swicth that the Bridge had been using. Same issue. So it's not the Bridge thats at fault, and I'm back to square one.

I REALLY REALLY don't want to have to format and start over with this machine if anyone can give me ANY clue as to how to proceed from here. HELP!!

OK, I FINALLY figured it out!

I checked my /etc/sysconfig/network file.

the ONLY listing it had in there for an interface was the wlan0 which I had removed! a quick line change to make it eth0 and a reboot and VOILA! I am ON THE NET! Persistance is a beautiful thing!