Installing Octave

Borys

Hello,

As I'm studying science, it would be handy to have some advanced mathematical application on my home-PC. MatLab is not free, so I decided to try Octave. But...

First, I wanted to compile it from sources, but I got error-messages while running ./configure (something about "C++ sanity check", I had no idea, what it could be). Therefore I downloaded RPM via rpm.pbone.net. Before I could install it, I had to install about half dozen additional applications and libraries, GNUPlot and some others. Finally, I could install Octave. It went fine, but when I'm trying to run it, I got following message:

octave: relocation error: /usr/lib/octave-2.1.59/liboctinterp.so: symbol _ZNSt15basic_stringbufIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEE7seekoffExSt12_Ios_SeekdirSt13_I
os_Openmode, version GLIBCXX_3.4 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

Could someone help me fix it or tell me how to install Octave that it would works? It would be really great to be able to use this application on my PC... Thanks a lot for any help.

Borys

Mandrake uses urpmi to install software. Read about it in the faqs. Add main, contrib and plf as your repositiries and you can install octave with 1 command.

Your error probably means you installed something that conflicts with something else. That happens when you don't use urpmi. :).

Remove what you installed and try again.

I did as you told me. I uninstalled everything, configured URPMI and typed "urpmi octave". Everything has been downloaded and installed once more. Unfortunately, when I now try to run "octave", I get just the same error:

octave: relocation error: /usr/lib/octave-2.1.59/liboctinterp.so: symbol _ZNSt15basic_stringbufIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEE7seekoffExSt12_Ios_SeekdirSt13_I
os_Openmode, version GLIBCXX_3.4 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

• 10 months later...