2 problems

wilco1973

Hi i have 2 problems (BTW i am new here)

system info

Mandrake 10.1 with all updates retrieved lanquage english

I discovered today that i have a double login... i typed users in a command and my name showed up twice i am positive that this was not alway the case, don`t know how it happend but i quess it came when i was trying (without succes) to change my login screen so i can choose between KDE and Gnome.

that directly is the second problem, i started with KDE but installed Gnome too (KDE 3.2 and Gnome 2.6) at the beginning i could choose but no i can`t and its frustrating. i solved it by forcing a automatic login with Gnome (that i can do) but every time when i logoff i get KDE instead of Gnome.

what do i want?

i do not want to login twice offcourse (it slows down my PC)

and i want to choose my desktop when logging in or reboot between KDE and Gnome

ps. i am a newbie B)

Welcome to the board! This is a great place to expand your Linux know-how.

It can be pretty easy to login twice. If you have shelled to a new tty0, tty1 etc. Other things that can case this to happen are running instances of Virtual Desktop or VNC. There are hundreds of possibilities.

Unless you are logged into an X environment (KDE or Gnome) twice, I wouldn't worry about slowing your machine down. You can check to see how many of each process is present by typing 'ps aux' at the CLI or do it via GUI in Mandrake START>>System>>Monitoring>> KDE System Guard.

I definitley would not worry too much - you will figure it out as you go along.

As far as the other question, try Start New Session from the "Start Menu"

Edited by Tymestream

When you log in through X-Windows, that's one user. When you open a console window, that spawns another user instance. So opening a console window to check how many users are logged in causes a new user to be logged in ;) As aforementioned, it's nothing to worry about; there are several reasons this can happen.

The ability to choose your desktop environment is the job of the display manager. The most popular ones are KDM, MdkKDM (unique to Mandrake), and GDM. MdkKDM should be the default in Mandrake 10.1 Official. You can see which one you are running in the Mandrake Control Center under System --> Display Manager. If you have MdkKDM selected and it's not letting you choose your desktop environment try GDM instead. You may have to install it first.

iMdkKDM installed and it works :thanks:

about the processes i think i am running too many things (like evolution while using Kontact) i will post 3 pics to make the processes vissible too you guys, hopefully it will help... note that there are 3 pictures and somethings will be erased because it is allready in another picture

post-9579-1106830353_thumb.jpg

post-9579-1106830364_thumb.jpg

post-9579-1106830376_thumb.jpg

Edited by wilco1973

tried to install realplayer, all goes well but if i try to start it, it says:

SCIM: im_module_init

Segmentation fault

WTF is the meaning of that ?

ps. it may look like i ask a lot, but i am really trying and read a lot. oh well all new things are difficult at first :P i will learn how to work with linux cause its trruly great!!! but sometimes it makes me sad if i do not get something done :furious3:

How did you try and install realplayer ...

it would be better if you start a seperate thread on each problem... however don't worry about the double login thing... its not important right now and it'll just confuse matters.

(like tymemark said)

also like he said just chill it will become clear.,... honest but its a lot different to windows and that can make you feel lost if you were a poweruser+ sorta windows user. Linux will give you more power still but it does have different paradigms and takes a bit of getting used to (like multiuser/multi login)