can't install Gaim [solved]

inflexion

I already have gaim installed using urmpi but want the new version so that i can use file transferes. So i did urpmi.update gaim and it gave the following message

[root@localhost matt]# urpmi.update gaim

trying to select nonexistent medium "gaim"

the entry to update is missing

(one of jpackage, plf, contrib, main)

right so i though no worries do it the hard way :P

got the source tarball from the site as there isnt a 10.1 rpm put it in my home space then went down the normal route but on the ./configure it said that GLib 2.0 is required so i got GLib from here and followed the instructions that it gives.

./configure

make

make install

then passed ldconfig like it says (btw i installled it in my /home/matt space)

then tried again to make the config file and it still wont work

i then tried the 10.0 rpms and they all gave me a conflict message with the 10.1 install

:thanks:

Edited by inflexion

woot, slight mistake, there, urpmi.update updates your sources -- the places where you get your programs from.

you want 'urpmi gaim'

but if you persist compiling, you'll want to install gtk2-devel and xlibs-devel, well they're named something like that..

:D

Guest micro420

URPMI has been funky lately. It goes down a lot, hence one of the drawbacks of URPMI.

At for GLIB and GTK, there is a REAL easy solution to this because a lot of people try installing GLIB from source and their system will not notice it. This is a common problem. What you do is install them to your /usr directory. For example, do this for GLIB

./configure --prefix=/usr
make 
su
*rootpassword*
make install

Be aware that you will have to do this everytime you update GTK, including its dependencies like ATK, PANGO, and GLIB (all installed to your /usr directory).

I have done this and have successfully gotten GAIM installed from source. Believe me, once you do the standard ./configure, make, make install, it gets really nasty in that you have to start EXPORTing things left and right. just avoid it by putting it in /usr.

Good luck!

FYI - GAIM 10.0 RPM works for Mandrake 10.1, even though it does not say it does.