weird xmms behaviour - playing water sounds

fuzzylizard

I just got back to my computer from being at school this morning and found it doing the weirdest thing. The cpu usage was hovering around 45% and when I turned up the volume on my speakers I could hear what sounded like water.

I wasn't sure what was causing it so I started to close applications. I closed xmms and the cpu usage went back down to its usuall 2-5% and the sounds stopped. Very strange.

I was listening to some mp3s yesterday using xmms and had left it open but paused. The song that it was paused on had nothing to do with water.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Since you paused it (pause instead of stop I asume), I think that's the cause. It may be related to how xmms works or something. I mean decoding an mp3 is quite a stressful thing to a cpu that usually it needs a pentium cpu to decode the thing and play it on the cd quality stereo mode.

Then again, I don't know much about mp3 decoding, so I could be wrong. Is everything ok again now after rerunning xmms and listening to mp3 again? What about after a reboot?

What kind of sound was it? On shortwave radio the military uses spread spectrum modulation instead of AM, FM or PM (phase modulation) (many European EHF cellular phones do the same). When you hear it on shortwave while band scanning, it is the sound of a babbling brook that lasts for about 2 sec. It could be that the computer is acting like a receiver when it is just idling on empty frequenc(ies), something that would not be noticed except under the conditions you created accidentally. All the parts to act as a receiver are in a computer and then some. Spread spectrum skips across the RF bands and is used because it is virtually noise free and if you don't have a proper receiver all you'll hear is the babbling brook. Great for secrecy as well.

More than you ever wanted to know about that.

Counterspy

More than you ever wanted to know about that.

actually, although i was just browsing the forum, that was an interesting tidbit. one more bit of nearly useless information that i can store in the back of my mind to bring up again during an akward silence :)

(i find the best way to break akward silence is to say something totally off the wall-you usually get a response, of some sort)

Hmm.. I'm not sure about all the military stuff, but the sound is right, except that it was a continous babbling brook, or small waterfall, and very quite. I almost didn't hear it and had to really turn the volume up.