DVD Copying

Shadowchaser

Hey there,

With the current state of technology, backing up your video DVD's isn't all that easy. Since most commercial DVDs are on DVD-9 disks (meaning that they hold 9 GB of data) and most DVD burners only allow you to write up to 4 GB on a disk, you have to pull some tricks to get your movie to fit.

The folks at doom9.org have some really good tutorials and tools for just this sort of thing. Unfortunately the tools are pretty much all written for windows.

On the other hand, once you get the basic idea down from reading their guides, you can search for tools that do the same thing on linux.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you find out :)

Edited by nchancock

Thanks for the fast reply guys,

nchancock, i went to that site i left confused :D by the way my i have a dual layer dvd-r/w so i can write up 8.5 gb's here a link DVD Burner Spec's. So knowing this about my burner is there an easier way for me to make backups??

Gowator, i like Divx but it will only play on my PC, I need to be able to burn it to a DVD so my Kids can watch the movies in there room.

Thanks,

ShadowChaser

Gowator, i like Divx but it will only play on my PC, I need to be able to burn it to a DVD so my Kids can watch the movies in there room.

Yep but you can write it to a DVD and play it on a DivX compatible DVD player.

These are $30-$40 so the price of a few wrecked DVD's...

For mine at home i actually use my XBOX (with linux) 90% of the time. Its networked to my main PC which has a few hundred Gigs of DivX/Music etc. and its much more convenient than searching for the DVD and putting it on...

Guest BinaryDigit

For mine at home i actually use my XBOX (with linux) 90% of the time.  Its networked to my main PC which has a few hundred Gigs of DivX/Music etc.  and its much more convenient than searching for the DVD and putting it on...

Few hundred gigs! :shocking:

Thanks for writing this thread, I was curious myself as to how copy dvd's, or create dvds.

For mine at home i actually use my XBOX (with linux) 90% of the time.  Its networked to my main PC which has a few hundred Gigs of DivX/Music etc.  and its much more convenient than searching for the DVD and putting it on...

Really!!!!! That's awesome, so what you are saying is that i can go and buy a Dixv Dvd player and all i have to is convert my orginal dvd movies to divx then burn the divx movie on my dvd-r and it will play on divx ready player?

:shocking: -ShadowChaser :shocking:

I have a great little DVD that isn't really utilised to its full potential.

Its a Medion MD40814 and I bought it really for its 5.1 surround sound decoder - but it also supports DIVX/Mpegs etc etc etc best thing, it was only £50.00

Got it from Amazon - its no longer stocked, but it got some great customer reviews - IMHO Medion is worth considering if your in the market for a new player.

Just my two pennys worth.

Yes, it requantizes movies to fit on a DVD-R, but you lose the menus and extras. Also, check the size of source DVD. I've found that a few movies are small enough to fit on DVD-R without compression, and can be copied with k3b.

Edited by Dyslexic

Yes, it requantizes movies to fit on a DVD-R, but you lose the menus and extras.  Also, check the size of source DVD.  I've found that a few movies are small enough to fit on DVD-R without compression, and can be copied with k3b.

cool i have to look in to it.

I just want to express my Thanks for all who have helped me in this little endeavor... But please cont. to post so others can be helped..

Again :thanks:

-ShadowChaser

I have a great little DVD that isn't really utilised to its full potential.

Its a Medion MD40814 and I bought it really for its 5.1 surround sound decoder - but it also supports DIVX/Mpegs etc etc etc best thing, it was only £50.00

Got it from Amazon - its no longer stocked, but it got some great customer reviews - IMHO Medion is worth considering if your in the market for a new player.

Just my two pennys worth.

Yeah i have to admit I haven't actually tried this....I meant to but then I just play the disk version... if I tested it it really would be an academic exersize.

I have heard that the HW DVD players are fussy especially over DVD-R or +R etc. but multiformat writers age getting really cheap.

To me the cost of lots of blank DVD's isn't worth it when you can get a 200GB disk for around $100

CNET search 200Gb disks

I put one mine into an external USB2 caddy... handy for watching movies at a friends place...

and all my DVD's are locked away in a cupboard. (actually should be I leant them to a friend - better get em back today)

For ripping I tend to use ACIDRIP (in PLF) its not the best but Ive found 700MB is fine for a movie but some of the other software gives you more control.

Yeah i have to admit I haven't actually tried this....I meant to but then I just play the disk version...  if I tested it it really would be an academic exersize. 

I have heard that the HW DVD players are fussy especially over DVD-R or +R etc.  but multiformat writers age getting really cheap. 

To me the cost of lots of blank DVD's isn't worth it when you can get a 200GB disk for around $100

I agree that it makes sense to go for the HDD option. But in Shadowchaser's example s/he want's something separate for the kids. I just looked again at amazon (.co.uk) cheapest new divx now at £65.00 - but the best thing about this is, even if you don't buy from Amazon - you can check out the customer reviews and tech spec' so you get a better idea what you get for your lolly before you shop around and part with the hard earned stuff.

Well if could figure out a why to put all my Dvd's in a hdd , trust me i would do it. i must have over 150 Dvd movies, I do have and Xbox but it's mostly for the kids so modding it is not and option,, though i did see one on ebay aready modded and set up with MythTV.. Maybe i do something like that... put for know i looking into the DVDripping or converting to divx. the only thing about divx is i would have to go out and by new hardware to be able to play the movie {wife won't be to happy :D } ..... All Well it could be worst i could be trying to convert VHS to DVD :lol2:

-ShadowChaser