Applications will not start

Guest Rock-HOG

Guest Rock-HOG

Hello,

One of my New Years Resolutions is to convert from Windows to Linux. I have been using Windows for too long and its time to try something new. I have downloaded the dvd version of Mandrake 10.1 from the website and installed it on my machine. I have noticed a bunch of cool features and customizations settings that I could never do with Windows (about time). Anyways I noticed that there are some programs that do not start when you double click on them. I am currently using the KDE desktop and they are programs like the system configuration tool located on the task bar. You double click on it and its sits there on the taskbar acting like its gonna start but does not. There are others as well but I will use the configuration tool program as an example. Is there something I need to do to make these work again.

:thanks:

Rock-HOG

I've been getting the same error with a lot of progs (Kwrite, Kuickshow, Konqueror, Kedit), but nobody even replied with any proposal of solution to my plea for help ( :angry: ), so I did a double reinstall (it was messed up the first reinstall too) and for now it seems to be ok. For now. I think it has something to do with updates, updating your KDE in not the right order somehow.. really duno. :screwy:

edit: here is the original thread -> http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?act=ST&f=10&t=22145

Edited by solarian

Guest Rock-HOG
Open up a console, log in as root and type: mcc What errors do you get?

Here is what I got when I ran mcc.

Can't locate locale.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/libDrakX /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-lin ux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8 .5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /u sr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/ lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/libDrakX/ugtk2.pm line 796.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/libDrakX/ugtk2.pm line 796.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 36.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 36.

Looks like you may have had a bad install of Linux. Try this, open up a consol and login (su) as root. Type:

urpmi drakconf

If it tells you "everything already installed" then type

rpm -e drakconf

(to remove it) and then try to reinstall it.

Failing that, you may have to reinstall Linux.

Guest Rock-HOG

Ok, I did as you requested and its still does the same thing. I did a google on it and its seems to me that im not the only one. Ive killed the partition and reinstalled as well. Must be either bad media or file. Ill just live with it till next version. Thanks for the help

Open up a console, log in as root and type: mcc What errors do you get?

Here is what I got when I ran mcc.

Can't locate locale.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/libDrakX /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-lin ux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8 .5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /u sr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/ lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/libDrakX/ugtk2.pm line 796.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/libDrakX/ugtk2.pm line 796.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 36.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 36.

Hi,

Did you installed perl package from source !! I'm asking you this because i faced exactly same problems when i did the same.