I need help upgrading my ipw2100 driver

dnoyc

currently i am running mandrake 10.1, and i am using the driver that came with it for my intel pro wireless 2100 card. i think that is driver ipw2100-0.54. i also downloaded the firmware for that driver which is ipw2100-fw-1.2

i found out that wep doesnt work with this version of the driver, so i want to upgrade to the newest driver ipw2100-1.0.2 and the newest firmware ipw2100-fw-1.3

i am a linux newbies so i was wondering if anyone could give me step by step instructions on how to remove the current driver and install the new one. i believe i need to build the module in the kernel. i also noticed that this install doesnt have the kernel source which i think i need for this application. can someone tell me the command to install the kernel source.

Thanks in advance for any help.

here is what i get:

[root@localhost firmware]# modprobe ipw2100

[root@localhost firmware]# ifup eth1

[root@localhost firmware]# ifconfig eth1

eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found

[root@localhost firmware]# iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

[root@localhost firmware]#

before iwconfig used to bring up the wireless on eth1, but it didnt support wep.

i don't see ipw2100 loaded when i type lsmod. i tried depmod -ae., but i didn't change anything.

i'm not sure if it is eth1, that's what it was with the old driver, but i know its not etho because that's my regular network card which is working.

when i type iwconfig it shows no wireless connections at all. i guess the problem is that ipw2100 is not getting loaded.

I really appreciate the help btw.

If lsmod shows the module as loaded (it's in the list) that means everything is fine (a module is called a driver in windows. When you load a module you install a driver :) ). No deed for depmod.

Now type iwconfig and see what you get (hopefully not no wireless extension :) ). Follow this post http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=14972 after that (forget about the parts for ndiswrapper).

Good luck.