10.1 woes

javaguy

I have a variety of difficulties since I upgraded yesterday. I've been doing Linux for about a year, and I'm more knowledgeable than a newbie but far, far, far from being an expert, so bear that in mind as you answer. :)

Okay, so I took the plunge and upgraded from 9.2 to 10.1. Just to be safe I installed a new hard drive, partitioned it accordingly and formatted it to make it a fresh install, and also so I could simply pop the old drive back in as the boot drive if it didn't work. Upgrading is always a good excuse to put in a bigger drive anyway. ;) Then I mounted the old one so I could copy the stuff from my home directory over.

The first thing I noticed was that I needed to edit the programs menu. So I right-clicked and hit Menu Editor and waited...and waited and waited. I tried several more times--nothing ever happened. I open up a console window and did menudrake. It opened right up, but it looked like the old menu I had. So I closed it and forgot about it. The next time I logged in I noticed that almost my entire menu was completely gone. :( Then only things there were things that I had explicitly added--all the "standard issue" programs like Mozilla, Kmail and kwrite were gone. Any idea how to restore them?

The menu editor isn't the only thing that doesn't start. Mozilla intermittently does the same thing, whether I launch it from a terminal window or from the shortcut I made on my taskbar. Sometimes it starts, and other times it just hangs forever. Logging out and logging in again seems to fix this, but I thought rebooting was more of a Windows kinda solution. BTW, when it does this when launched from a terminal window, it reports no errors--just hangs forever.

I tried to solve the Mozilla mystery by doing a ps -A just to see what's going on with my system. It said "Error, do this: mount -t proc none /proc". In 9.2 I never had to do anything like that. I did an su over to root to explore a bit and discovered that if I chmoded the /proc to be o+=rx and then switched back to my regular account, it worked again. Great! Except an hour later it stopped working again. So again I did an su over to root and looked at the permissions for /proc: They had mysteriously been changed back again. So it looks like I have to switch user over to root every time I want to run one of the most basic commands that worked just fine in 9.2.

Nvidia drivers: I got the latest and ran the install script. I edited the XF86Config file to make sure the load "Glx" was there (it already was) and that it says Driver "nvidia" instead of Driver "nv" and now I get the infamous "no screens found" error. I had this under 9.2 when I installed the Nvidia drivers, but there it was just a matter of opening the editor and seeing what I had screwed up. :) It looks okay to me now.

And lastly, the whole reason why I upgrade to 10.1: I bought an Epson CX6600 for the specific reason that Mandrake's web site says it is supported by 10.1. When I installed, it didn't recognize it. I picked from the list of Epson printers, and Epson CX6400 was there, but not CX6600. I picked CX6400, and it prints text, kinda, though with the first letter of every line off the page. How do I get it to recognize the CX6600?

I really want to make this work, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Guest CLiF1274
Nvidia drivers: I got the latest and ran the install script. I edited the XF86Config file to make sure the load "Glx" was there (it already was) and that it says Driver "nvidia" instead of Driver "nv" and now I get the infamous "no screens found" error. I had this under 9.2 when I installed the Nvidia drivers, but there it was just a matter of opening the editor and seeing what I had screwed up. :) It looks okay to me now.

To get the Nvidia drivers working for me I needed to add "nvidia" to the /etc/modprobe.preload file. After I rebooted it came up just fine.

CLiF1274

This is my XF86Config:

# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"
   # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
   # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
   # the X server to render fonts.
   FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
   AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work
   #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
   Load "extmod"
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"
   Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Keyboard1"
   Driver "Keyboard"
   Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"
   Option "XkbOptions" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "monitor1"
   VendorName "ViewSonic"
   ModelName "ViewSonic A90"
   HorizSync 30-86
   VertRefresh 50-180

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
   # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "1024x480"    65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344   480  488  494  563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
   # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "768x576"     50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "768x576"     63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   VendorName "NVidia"
   BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
   Driver "nv"
   Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "screen1"
   Device "device1"
   Monitor "monitor1"
   DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 8
       Virtual 1600 1200
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 15
       Virtual 1600 1200
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 16
       Virtual 1600 1200
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 24
       Virtual 1600 1200
   EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "layout1"
   Screen "screen1"
   InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
   InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Well I did an lsmod and learned that the nvidia driver was not loaded. After I modprobed it, X started up okay. But /etc/modprobe.preload has a line in it that says

modprobe nvidia

so shouldn't it load when the machine boots?

Also, I'm still having problems with permissions spontaneously changing on their own. What is up with that? Mandrake 9.2 never did that to me. I can set permissions on the /proc directory so that ps works, but in a little while they get changed back. What is the point of having changeable file permissions at all if the system doesn't even respect any of the permissions set by root but instead changes them arbitrarily?

Also, some of my stuff expects a device called /dev/scd0. No problem, I just switch to root and type

ln /dev/hdd /scd0

and it works fine...until I reboot, at which point the link is gone. Again, what's the point of having links at all if they spontaneously go away like that? Mandrake 9.2. never did that to me.

Are these bugs in Mandrake 10.1, or are they intentional?

The line should not be 'modprobe nvidia' but just 'nvidia' :) (without the '')

I don't know about the permissions but my guess would be that it has to do with the security settings. Look in the Mandrake Control Center, security for something that that could cause it.

The first thing is when using KDE the bounciong waiting thing actually means nothing other than it tried to start the prog.

The length of time etc. is set in the KDE control centre and it can be turned on/off ..

(Appearance and Themes/Launch Feedback)

if things are messing about then its often better to use the CLI and watch the output.

On security: Yep MDK borked it in 10.1 ... it seems to be something to do with their upcoming secuirty certification ? but MDK 10.1 lasted half a day on my PC ... I hated it by the end of the day and just installed Debian instead. (Not perhaps something for a noobie but it solved my problems)

It was a bit precipitous since the issue that was messing me about was solved later that week by someone more patient but I had no music or video until I solved this and just couldn't be bothered fighting the security settings crap ...

Mandrake are attempting a hardened system that is noobie friendly, a bit like a learner friendly formula one car it won't happen ... so If it were me I'd turn off as many secuirty features as possible. Mandrake have always been notoriously bad at this type of stuff ... the shorewall debacle springs to mind.

(Mandrake made a half working set-up that was completely incompatible with shorewalls own documentation but then didn't document theirs)

They should stick to what they know best!!! Making a nice distro for people like you...

(your description of one year in and gettng comfy but not an expert is what mande Mandrake such a popular distro... its what they have traditionally done best.)

Mandrake menu's

Another reason i don't use MDK myself. I detested the MDK menu's and first thing i did is to turn them off and use the native menu's. (KDE for KDE and Gnome for Gnome etc.)

If your using KDe you can fix the mess the menu wizard does by running

kappfinder

and then you can edit the menu's using

kmenuedit

(you can of course add these to your KDE menu's)

edits:

Sorry Printers:

Yep... guess what my answer is don't use the MDK config wizard.

KDE has a perfectly usable interface for CUPS.

KDE Control Panel: then Peripherals, Printers.. Add. Its always worked well for me. (delete any MDK wiz added printers 1st)

One thing to do first is to add the Printer driver packs.

Gimp Printing/Foomatic etc. (Using the Add Programs and search on print)

If your URPMI sources are set this is easy :D

You will often get 3 choices of Printer driver and one tends to work better.... its usually obvious by the amount of control options which has the best support.

Well kappfinder found some stuff, but even basic stuff like "Configure Your Computer" seems to be gone. :( I don't mean the programs themselves are gone...just their menu items. And for most of this stuff I never knew the command-line name for it. Yes, I know mcc and kcontrol and kwrite, but for every one I know there are lots that I don't know but used to use.

The modprobe preload now works, and yes, changing it to simply "nvidia" worked. :)

On the printer...Where do I find the printer driver packs? I went through rpmdrake and couldn't find anything. Are these RPMs that I can just download and install? I went through kcontrol like you suggested, and it saw an Epson CX6600 sure enough, but the closest driver I saw for it was for the CX6400. Mandrake's web site explicitly states that 10.1 is Certified with this printer.

And another question about the printer: It's a printer-scanner combo. How do I scan?