Commercial gaming stand-still?

SoulSe

Is it just me or is there not much happening on the Linux gaming front at the moment?

It seems like Doom 3 was the last big commercial port to be released and I haven't heard of much being planned/happening since then.

Please don't post a list of four hundred little open source games that have been developed recently, I'm talking about big games.

I love gaming, always have. I made a conscious decision three years ago never to run Windows again and so far I haven't. This meant that I had to confine myself to playing id's games (which I love), NWN (still love it) and the like, as well as a few games with Cedega. Gaming in Linux is happy. I have no qualms.

But where's the progress? What is the next big release going to be? Has anybody heard anything? Or are you all too busy playing Half Life 2 with Cedega.

Maybe it is just me...

I presume that the game companys are waiting for more people to go to Linux and that people are waiting for more games to goto Linux! Somebody break the horrible cycle!!

I think there is also the issue of a proper DirectX alternative for Linux and alot of games are written using DirectX! It seems that most OpenGL games get converted to Linux :)

I think its more that those few big gamehouses who do put out the big awesome games and get the press, have just put out big titles. valve, id, epic, bungy, etc.

I guess where we are now is just a lull, but there'll be something soon. There may also be some smaller gamehouses who have put out games, but simply dont have the publicity...

iphitus