Floppy drive

Urza9814

Aight...here's what happened. Last thursday, I was trying to put something on a floppy disk...and it said there was no disk in the drive. I looked at it, and hte light wasn't even turning on. So then I thought the 5 year old drive's probably fried (long story short: I had to move it to the other bay, and I was doing so while my comp was on...there was a spark, my comp shut down, and I thought that mighta damaged the drive)...so anyways, I bought a new one, since they're only about $10...got it today, put it in, and...nothing. My BIOS doesn't recognize a disk in (though it is set up right), the light doesn't turn on, windoze says there's no disk in the drive and Mandrake says the drive is not connected. So...any ideas? I was gonna try a different IDE cable, but the only other I have is from my old compaq, and it's shaped differently.

yes, I need a floppy drive...but I'd rather not RMA the mobo...because then I wouldn't have a comp for like, 2 weeks at least...and im not even totally sure this thing has a warranty (though if it does I'm only about 20 days into it)...but...would I be able to use a PCI IDE card?

Floppy cables should have an A and B .. primary and secondary and they should be recognised by cables 7-10 being inverted on the cable for the primary A.

Make sure its connected the right way up!

Make sure your BIOs has floppy support turned on, they are so acrhaic nowadays they perhaps set it not to check for it durng boot (which saves time)

Just a thought. At some point in time I always figure it is time to move forward. Due to the low cost of usb thumbdrives and high storage space and fast transfer speed, I have given up on floppy and use thumbdrives in their place.

I also realize some can't. My Dad wanted me to fix his pentium 3 while I was down at Xmas, while I was at it I pitched a box of 5 and a quarter" floppies in the garbage. His eyebrows nearly hit his hairline and he dove into the pail to retrieve them. I said, "You don't even have a drive that fits them anymore"! He informed me, "Yah, but they are mine". Just a funny from a couple weeks ago.

Urza, you seem to be a little confused between the ide interface and the floppy interface. These are completely separate systems. A floppy drive does not use an ide cable; it uses a floppy cable. A floppy drive cannot be plugged into an ide port, whether on the motherboard or a pci ide controller card; it must be plugged into a floppy port. Take a look at a floppy cable and an ide cable; They're different number of wires, different plugs, ect. and the floppy cable has a twist towards one end of the cable. In short, a floppy plug will not fit into an ide port so don't even try that.

Back to your original problem. You swapped out the floppy drive, had a spark and nothing changed, i.e. the floppy drive is still not detected in the bios or by the OS and the light doesn't come on for the floppy drive. Seems like the next logical thing to try is putting a new floppy cable in. That's certainly cheaper and easier than replacing the motherboard, especially since you haven't confirmed that your present cable is good. Also check the power plug going into the floppy drive. The drive may not be getting power. If you have a spare plug from the psu, try using a different plug. I suspect that there may be a problem with power to the drive. If you have another box, swap the floppy and cable into another box and see if they work OK. In short, do a little more troubleshooting to make sure your floppy controller is blown on your motherboard. If your sure that's the case, then you can buy a pci floppy controller card if they still make them. If not, you can problably pick one up on ebay cheap.

Another alternative is to pick up a usb floppy drive/card reader combo drive.

Edited by pmpatrick

ok, yea, I was gonna check the cable eventually...lol...

I know it's not the power...I had the plug in upside down and the light was on solid...lol...and the drive IS detected...well, I dunno...it's in my BIOS, it's in windoze, and it's in linux (kinda...says it's unplugged, so...)...the windoze device manager has it listed though...so...that mean anything?

imma swap out the cable with the one from my bro's comp as soon as I can...that might not be for a while though...

The floppy light being on solid is a sure sign that you have the floppy cable in backwards as you apparently found out. If the drive is properly detected in the bios and works in windows then there is probably nothing wrong with the drive or the cable; it's a linux configuraqtion problem.

no, it doesn't work in windows though, or in the BIOS...it's there, but im not sure if the BIOS autodetects or not...did the first time I believe, but, I dunno, it won't boot from a disk...but I'm thinking one of these, just wanna verify that this is what I need:

http://www.aerocooler.com/shop.cart?action...&prod_id=COWI51

http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/dd//9/nc/Co...roller%2520Card

liking the second one better...does more stuff, same price...don't see what those fans are supposed to do...I see no way for the air to escape the case...but...fans are cool :-P you can already hear my CPU fan downstairs...even with the door closed...lol

looks like it comes with some kind of power adapter plug...hmm...wonder what that's for...not knowing what that's for is scaring me...lol

edit:

just verified that the IDE cable is good...ow...my comp must hate me...the case bit me while I was closing it...and now my hand is bleeding a bit :-P

but yea, I plan to get a third harddrive, and that card says it'll do hard drives too, so that'll be good...I'll need it eventually anyways...and the $6 is worth having my comp for the 2 or 3 weeks it would take to send the mobo back and get a new one

besides...not like they'd care, but I don't think the warranty covers user errors...

Edited by Urza9814

Urza..calm down read the posts....

An IDE cable is NOT a floppy cable

If you have somehow tried to use an IDecable it has the wrong no. of pins and the blocked hole is in the wrong place...

If not you should be using a floppy cable and it should have a twist in pins 7 thru 10.

It must be the correct way round..like someone else said if you put it on upside down (cheap cable wilkl allow this) then your light will go on and stay on!!!

It is NOT reversible....

You might have damaged the pins/floppy/mobo if you forced it on upside down... check.... pins can usually be carefully straightened!

Try the other floppy cable from your brothers PC! but I suspect the answer is already here!

Re your controller cards. Those are both isa cards. Newer motherboards no longer have legacy isa slots so make sure your mb has an isa slot available. Neither of those cards will fit into a pci slot. Also, the one with a hard drive port will only accept a 40 wire ide cable which means the hard drive will operate at ATA 33 speeds which is much slower than the speed for most modern hard drives(ATA 100 or 130).