Thumbs up for Fedora Core!

Getting Fedora installed and getting all the updates took some time and patience... to make matters worse something in yum update manager seemed broken. If I would install more as 1 update simultaneously, it would appear to halt. There was an update for Yum, however, let us hope that fixed it. (Edit: I can confirm now this is the case)

Anyway, I like how the hardware detection is. Much better than Red Hat 9, which was a disaster for me: no network connection, no sound, my mouse went crazy, ... but now all seems to work!

I've got a nice 1024*768 resolution with a 85Mzh Refresh rate (87 also an option, but I left it at the defaults).

At first I had no MP3 playback, but installing things with Yum from command line is really easy, once it is set up. The FAQ's at http://www.fedorafaq.org/ are really excellent. It took no time at all to download xmms, xmms-plugins-mp3 and xmms-skins B)

nvidia card is finally recognized and gives me a WHOPPING amount of FPS (well, compared with the previous performance)! Glxgears indicates an average of 1849.400 FPS.

Gnome, I guess I have to get used to it although it is not bad. The only thing I would like improved are the fonts. Mandrake's and SuSe's are nicer, IMO. Oh yeah, and it boots up slower then both. I guess I still have some tweaking to do (e.g. runlevels, ...). The boot screen could also be improved. And the dialog boxes and the GUI are not always as responsive as I would like.

Well, you can guess if I complain about these details how nice all the rest is :)

Gonna try Cedega with Morrowind in an instant! This Fedora thing is not so bad, provided you know a little about CLI (e.g. I did the Xmms and nvidia driver install from an xterm and mounted my windows partition with my music collection manually in this terminal.)

I'm glad I tried out this distro. Not sure if I will go using it full-time, but we'll see. In the meantime, I'm pleasantly surprised.

This is not a review and I know it is not coherent, but well, I had to say SOMETHING, no? :joker:

Screenshot: Firefox showing a Beyond Good&Evil website, with Flash plugin (banner above) and mplayer plug-in installed (you can't see it, but yes, it works! so it plays wmv's too, not too mention my Dabatteyo Naruto movies)

Setup time: less than 1 minute :)