serious sshd problems [SOLVED]

Murda

Hi.

I've been trying to get sshd in MDKLinux 10.1 to work very long, configuring those files but it doesnt work. I also copied one IT professional's ssh_config and sshd_config and made mine look like them but still it disconnects my ssh client (I've tried many of those). My ssh client says:

Connecting to xxxx.xxxxxxxxx.com:22 ...

[sSH] CONNECT xxxx.xxxxxxxxx.com

[sSH] ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

[sSH] INFO: DISCONNECT

I didn't know what else to do so I decided to ask from here.

If someone likes to see my ssh_conf and sshd_conf, they are here.

Moved from Software to Networking - Artificial Intelligence

Edited by Murda

I'm not expert, but in the sshd conf I'd comment out the lines:

LoginGraceTime 600

PermitRootLogin without-password

ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes

and if you're trying to connect to any graphical service allow the X11 forwarding in both the server and client files.

If i try to uncomment that "PermitRootLogin without-password" and restart the sshd process, it adds that line to the end of the file. So there must be "PermitRootLogin without-password" always. And there's also a file called "denyusers" and the only line there is root. So root login isn't even allowed. And I've also tried to comment those lines, same response from the server. I have shorewall but there's a port opened for Secure Shell connections. And i just wanted to get to console through SSH, not any graphical environments. And i don't have any other firewall or router out there.

Tricky one.. :wall:

Hi again.

I reinstalled OpenSSH and OpenSSH Server yesterday and configured it as I want it (no X11 or anything else, I just wanted to see Konsole, bash or anything what u want to call it). My client on XP is PuTTY and it still cannot connect to my MDK 10.1 Server. Everything else works just fine (not thru ssh though), like ProFTPD, Apache, VNC etc...

So it can't be any connection or firewall problem. I'm not a Linux expert so if someone who had same problems could help me..

Thanks.

I am not familiar with putty as i don't use windoze, but have a look in the logs on your Linux box in /var/log it should at least tell you that the windoze IP tried to connect to it and hopefully a clue as to why connection was refused.

Just a silly suggestion, but the username you're trying to connect as is available on the server machine isn't it?

Yep, the username is Murda on my Linux machine. I've logged in KDE also with that one. But i also tried to log in thru ssh when i was logged out from KDE. And didn't work. And I'm sure that the user Murda has enough privileges. It's almost root now.

I am not familiar with putty as i don't use windoze, but have a look in the logs on your Linux box in /var/log it should at least tell you that the windoze IP tried to connect to it and hopefully a clue as to why connection was refused.

This was an interesting one. I didn't know that the logs are there. I'll check them out. Thanks.

I've checked the log folder and there's no reports from sshd at all. Only proftpd says normal things like connection accepted and connection closed. But not a single line about ssh. The thing is that I can't even get any login dialog with PuTTY. It just closes the window. I got that error message with a program called "Zoc". I've totally ran out of ideas.

• 3 weeks later...
I've checked the log folder and there's no reports from sshd at all. Only proftpd says normal things like connection accepted and connection closed. But not a single line about ssh.  The thing is that I can't even get any login dialog with PuTTY. It just closes the window. I got that error message with a program called "Zoc". I've totally ran out of ideas.

I have a similar problem, in that putty just shutdown when trying to connect via ssh. Althouh, I can't access any services from outwith my lan (apache etc).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dhanraj sheth

well what what is your putty configured to use please check

under Connection > SSH > AUTH

check the Preferred ssh Protocol :

and you connect from XP ?? with sp2 ?? did you check your filrewall on XP to allow outbound ssh connection ?? ofcourse if the Firewall is up on your XP ,

Edited by dhanraj sheth

FYI I have no problems with PuTTY.

Also FYI PuTTY 0.57 was just released an fixes a few security issues.

My PuTTY setup is as follows, compare it to yours:

Session-> Protocol: SSH is selected

Connection->SSH-> protocol version2, everything else unchecked.

Connection->SSH->Auth-> "attempt keyboard interractive" is checked, nothing else is

Connection->SSH->Bugs everything is set to Auto

Session->Login: I disabled login but you may want to enable yours to get more clues about what's going on.

Also as mentionned above make sure that your windows firewall, other firewall (ZoneAlarm, etc...) allows PuTTY to connect.

Hope this helps.

Edited by papaschtroumpf

Hello. Just installed 10.1 and playing with ssh ... So. if security level is paranoid - do it standart, then edit /etc/hosts.deny (ALL:ALL , for example), and /etc/hosts.allow

sshd2: ALL (or yours ip)

sshdfwd-X11 : ALL (or yours ip)

or simply

ALL:ALL

(http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/adminguide/32/Configuring_SSH_Secure_Shell_for_TCP_Wrappers_Support.html)

/etc/ssh/sshd_config

PermitRootLogin yes

#PermitRootLogin without-password this is buggy or i don't know, what a difference

save all , restart sshd and if U want - set security to paranoid

Best regard, Nihila

• 1 month later...

In another thread we are trying to figure out how to get SSH working with a higher security setting... if anyone is having the same problem and you'd rather leave the security setting at "Higher" but still run an SSH server please follow this thread. The only other option to successfully run an SSH server at the moment is to lower your Security setting.

Edited by static