New Cable user

Guest ump

I just had Cable internet installed and I know i should have a firewall setup I know that MDK 9 has a firewall built in.

How good is it ?

I am using a Netgear MR314 DSL/Cable Router that uses NAT and is supposed to have a built firewall but have not seen any indication of this.

I know basically about firewalls or how to set one up what ports to block or ?stealth? what ever that means.

ump

I checked out the site the scan that comes up on the home paged was able to ip and that I run linux it was unable to detirmine my computer name are any services then I ran the stealth scan most ports showed closed some showed blocked is this what I want to see?

ump

All blocked is the best, (stealth mode ) Linux is considered the safest and most secure OS available. What firewall you need depends on what your set up is, for most users, shorewall , firestarter, guarddog, are all simple but effective firewalls. Never tried shorewall ( comes with mdk ) but the other two should both return stealth mode in any check. If your running a server, there are more advanced apps available.