Make modules troubles [solved]

Following the instructions on this site for kernel recompile, I've urpmi'd the kernel source linux-2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk, did the make mrproper, went through the make menuconfig....

...and then while doing the make modules modules_install it errored out with this :

make[2]: *** [cpqarray.o] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk/drivers/block'

make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_block] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk/drivers'

make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2

Any clues as to what could be causing this?

Thanks, in advance.

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Try make oldconfig instead of menuconfig. (are you using mandrake9.x?)

Oh. Sorry. I thought I had included that info. MDK 10.1 Official.

I tried oldconfig and it looks to have finished....but I'm not seeing a bzImage in /usr/src/ linux-2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk/ as most of the directions I have found would seem to indicate I should.

There is a /usr/src/linux-2.6.3-13mdk/arch/i386/boot/bzImage but that's not the kernel-source I pulled down with urpmi.

Edited by Trendane

The make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install commands just make things, they do not install the kernel. For that you need to do make install :)

However be care full with that. If your new kernel doesn't work you will have to reinstall. Not that there is much chance of that since you build exactly the same kernel that you had :).

To be sure install the new kernel by hand: http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=306 This howto works.

Any reason why you need to build your own kernel? And why such an old one? Mandrake 10.1 comes standard with 2.6.8.xx.

The make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install commands just make things, they do not install the kernel. For that you need to do make install :)

However be care full with that. If your new kernel doesn't work you will have to reinstall. Not that there is much chance of that since you build exactly the same kernel that you had :).

To be sure install the new kernel by hand: http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=306 This howto works.

Any reason why you need to build your own kernel? And why such an old one? Mandrake 10.1 comes standard with 2.6.8.xx.

That's the one I was trying to compile...well, 2.6.7 something, I think. But urmpi pulled down 2.6.3-13 for some reason. I'll try pulling it down from a different site and see if it gets a more recent kernel.

The sole reason I'm trying to do this is because, as I stated in the Games forum, I want to get Neverwinter Nights working again. The Nvidia drivers won't compile because it says the kernel-source is wrong. So, if I can get one kernel compiled, installed, and working with the Nvidia drivers...NWN should work again just fine.

Well...I was following the instructions on the site you listed the link for, and about 2-3 minutes into the make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install

It errored out with this message"

In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.4.21/include/linux/unistd.h:9,

from init/main.c:17:

/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/include/asm/unistd.h:375: warning: conflicting types for built-in function '_exit'

make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1