Mandrake MOVE install on usb drive

Guest jrczz

I bought a USB drive specifically for the purpose of installing Mandrake Move for use on systems that support "Boot from USB". Does anyone know what would be the simplest method of Installing Mandrake Move, the greatest invention since peanut butter, on a USB drive? I tried installing from the 10.1 distro with limited success. Mandrake move mounts NTFS file systems!!! This negates any security short of using the Bios password or physically locking up the computer. On a calmer note it also allows you to rename the SAM file to gain access to a locked out system..

It might be a fun project to do but I don't see the utility of it myself. Any box that can boot from a usb drive will probably have a cd drive that's bootable so why bother other than just for fun.

Also, mandrake came out with a system with mdk10 on a usb drive which they where marketing. You had to buy the portable drive with the system installed on it from mandrake. It's called mandrake Globetrotter:

http://store.mandrakesoft.com/product_info...ce6a0189ac8c03b

If they are trying to sell that, I don't see much incentive for coming out with instructions for putting mandrake move on a usb drive.

Edited by pmpatrick

• 3 weeks later...
It might be a fun project to do but I don't see the utility of it myself. Any box that can boot from a usb drive will probably have a cd drive that's bootable so why bother other than just for fun.

I am also looking to get Move to boot from a 1Gb stick as a they are easier to carry in a pocket than a CD, and Move is a more complete (and familair) distro to use over the likes of DSL (Damn Small Linux). I carry Move in my briefcase daily, but often get the 'can you fix my PC' when out evenings and weekends and carrying a CD at these times can be inconvenient.

The LaCie USB HD is good - but still more bulky than a CD - so a USB stick is better - even if I need a business card sized boot CD, which will fit and survive in my wallet.

So far my attempts have proven unsuccessful. :wall:

Regards

Dragon

• 4 weeks later...

Also, mandrake came out with a system with mdk10 on a usb drive which they where marketing. You had to buy the portable drive with the system installed on it from mandrake. It's called mandrake Globetrotter:

http://store.mandrakesoft.com/product_info...ce6a0189ac8c03b

If they are trying to sell that, I don't see much incentive for coming out with instructions for putting mandrake move on a usb drive.

I have a Thinkpad X30 without CD and floppy drives so I would be great option for me to be able to boot mandrake from a USB-pen. My lilo is messed up so at the moment i really need some kind linux on a stick to boot on. I tried Damn small linux but would always prefer Mandrake! :-)