extracting a tar.bz2 file

daniewicz

I have downloaded a 30+ MB tar.bz2 file that I wish to extract. I can go to the command line with tar xvjf package.tar.bz2 and extract the files without problem. If I instead choose to be Windows lazy and open package.tar.bz2 file in Konqueror and copy, the extraction takes FOREVER. Why is this?

First I have to say that I don't use KDE.

Said that, and AFAIK KDE uses ark instead of tar, so could be a bug/problem with ark?

so try ark instead of tar in command line to see what happens.

Also I'm pretty sure you could configure konqueror to use tar instead of ark if you wish.

HTH

Sorry I have been so slow to respond to you posts. I have been distracted by an effort to build firefox 1.0 from source. In fact, this build process is where I stumbled upon the extraction peculiarity.

Aru: I am getting a "command not found" when I try ark with and without the help flag. I am using KDE 3.2.

More detail:

Extracting a small 1 MB bz2 file works equally fast whether I use tar from the CL or Konqueror.

Extracting a large 30 MB bz2 file works using tar from the CL and takes several seconds. Using Konqueror, I waited 30 min for the extraction process to finish and gave up.

Aru: I am getting  a "command not found" when I try ark with and without the help flag. I am using KDE 3.2.

Could that mean that it something with that package is broken? It's a good moment to try to reinstall the kdeutils-ark rpm package

Edited by aru

Ahh....It turns out kdeutils-ark wasn't even installed.

I have installed it. Running from the command line to extract firefox-1.0-source.tar.bz2 I get:

$ ark firefox-1.0-source.tar.bz2

QMetaObject::findSignal:FileListView: Conflict with QListView::doubleClicked(QListViewItem*,const QPoint&,int)