Remote Desktop [solved]

XMan357

In windows XP I could control another computer remotly from my computer through the internet

And it was very simple. 1)Open msn 2)click on "ask for remote assistance" link Thats all

And Now I'm Mandrake user and looking for similar thing for mandrake

I found some thing like that in mandrake called rfbdrake "Virtual Network Connection"

It worked properly (and easly) And I could see & control another desktoip running mandrake though LAN connection

That's fine but, what I want is to connect to another computer though the Internet not through LAN

And also (if possible) connect to windows machine as well as linux machine.

Thank you for reading my topic & I hope you have solution for my problem :D

This is a copy Desktop Sharing (VNC) invitation E-Mail

You have been invited to a VNC session. If you have the KDE Remote Desktop Connection installed, just click on the link below.

vnc://invitation:Zhcu-pBm@10.0.0.2:0

Otherwise you can use any VNC client with the following parameters:

Host: 10.0.0.2:0
Password: Zhcu-pBm

Alternatively you can click on the link below to start the VNC session
within your web browser.

http://10.0.0.2:5800/

For security reasons this invitation will expire at 04/12/30 20:29.

As you can see the IP is 10.0.0.2 which is my LAN IP

If I gave this email to any of my lan partners it will work fine for them

But if I gave it to you, it will fail (cause you are not part of my LAN network)

I want to let some one (who is not connected to me through LAN connection) To be able to access & Control my PC

I want to add information I don't know if it is usefull or not:

I have shared DSL connection.

Edited by XMan357

Firstly, you can install VNC on Windows machines and control them from Linux boxes, it works fine.

Secondly, you can do this over the Internet, just make sure the port you are using for VNC isn't blocked by a firewall and is forwarded by any routers involved, etc.

You can also use X over ssh to control Linux boxes quite nicely, but I'd recommend sticking with VNC for your needs.

Secondly, you can do this over the Internet, just make sure the port you are using for VNC isn't blocked by a firewall and is forwarded by any routers involved, etc.

ok I'm sure that my firewall is disabled

and all ports are forwarded

and I have VNC.

Now what should I do?

I go to another linux box and try to connect to my box

VNC will ask me for the IP

and since the real IP is shared between 5 computers

I don't think VNC will figure out which box (of the 5 boxes) I mean.

In MSN things was simple. meet some one on-line and invite him to take control over my machine

I never asked about my IP , port number, routers, etc .......

:huh2::huh2::huh2:

If your port is forwarded, than your router (if you have one) will forward requests on that port to the computer you are forwarding. Same with Windows.

The IP issue isn't exclusive to Linux, in Windows all 5 boxes are still under the same IP.

Let us know if you need help with port forwarding, and don't tell me Windows did this better - Because VNC is easy to get going and is a few hundred times more secure and generally better. MSN is very dangerous and not very safe, I'd rather walk across town to work on a box than use MSN for remote desktop control.

If your port is forwarded, than your router (if you have one) will forward requests on that port to the computer you are forwarding. Same with Windows. 

The IP issue isn't exclusive to Linux, in Windows all 5 boxes are still under the same IP. 

Let us know if you need help with port forwarding, and don't tell me Windows did this better - Because VNC is easy to get going and is a few hundred times more secure and generally better. MSN is very dangerous and not very safe, I'd rather walk across town to work on a box than use MSN for remote desktop control. 

I never heard before about "port forwarding"

But I googled for it and I found this llink

http://www.portforward.com/alcatel/st510v4...tforwarding.htm

I tried to do this in my Speed touch modem and i attached with this message a screen shot to my SpeedTouch page.

Note that my local IP is 10.0.0.2

Note also that i do all of this under linux (don't let the title bar decive you B) )

Now I think I could make IP forwarding correctly but still nothing happen

I hope My problem can be solved since I hate windows and I don't want to go back to this dummy OS

Thanks a lot for your replies

post-9003-1104593482_thumb.jpg

Edited by XMan357

Yes completely sure

If you have some free time.

I can give you my Real IP & grant you access to my modem options and try together to make desktop sharing between my box and yours

And If We succeded we can type here the steps we did to solve my problem

My Yahoo ID is xman0802003

Thanks a lot for your help

Happy new year to every one :joker:

Thanks alot fissy for your help

Now every thing works fine.

For who's having the same problem the solution was by forwarding the 2 ports 5800 and 5900 (for mandrake) and evey thing will work fine.

Note: when you want to test your remote connection with your real IP don't test it with some one on your network but test it with some one outside your network

fissy if I said something wrong please correct it :)

:thanks::thanks::thanks: fissy

XMan