system recovery --help

rhaynes

Hi, after a recent power outage my mandrake 10.0 official system did not come up nicely. It wanted to do a system check on /dev/hde6 (which is my / partition). It then complained and said that I would have to run fsck manually on the partition. From the rescue prompt I did:

fsck /dev/hde6

and I answered yes to all the fixes it suggested, some stuff was copied to /lost+found.

I then rebooted but got a kernel panic it suggested that I boot with init=

I went through all of this during a storm in November and ended up having to do a reinstall. Before I make things worse I am looking for some advice.

What should I do next? Should run CD1 and go into rescue mode .... and try to mount the partitions? Should I run fsck on all the partitions? The last time this happened I wasn't able to mount the partitions (it complained about superblocks...).

The machine is at work and I hope to get in tomorrow to begin to salvage.

All my filesystems are ext2 or ext3.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed? How about filesystem choice to avoid this in the future. I have had redhat systems in the past which seem much more robust when faced with a hard shutdown.

Thanks,

R Haynes

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

did you run fsck on your ext3 fs's? Not good! fsck w/o options is for ext2 (if I understand correctly). Everytime I've seen this done, repair could not be undone to the ext3 fs's, but wait for someone else to varify.

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/e2fsck.8.html

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/fsck.8.html

In the future do not use ext2. It's just asking for trouble.

Edited by bvc

Thanks for the reply... I am pretty sure I used ext3 filesystems... and I just ran the command that was indicated by the system when the automatic check failed, it said to run fsck manually without the -a or -p options. Hopefully it would detect the filesystem type and indicate the corresponding command to run.

Thanks,

R Haynes

• 5 weeks later...

Same problem here, after "once a week :angry: " electric failure, I get similar problem with rhaynes. But I'm not as lucky as he is, since all my / partition is lost except lost+found, but the size is equal with the condition before error. The lost+found directory is full with strange file such as "#2345632", some of them look that it is a symbolic links to another file, some look like regular files, and some like character device files. I use ext3.

Is there any way to save my data? :help:

It's my / partition, nothing left there but /lost+found. Do you think that I still can use that / partition to run my GNU/Linux? Of course I use system from other media (my friend's HD, LiveCD, etc.) for both mounting and fsck-ing.