Accton EN2242 installation?

Guest MatthiasOtto

Guest MatthiasOtto

I am very new with linux and I installed 10.1 on a Gericom laptop 1st Supersonic GPRS.

Main problem is: the ethernet device has not been installed correctly. Connection configuration shows me an 'eth0: Accton' device, I can input all relevant information, but that is it. I can't connect.

I have downloaded the accton driver from http://mars.accton.com.tw/adriver.nsf/0/6b...b8?OpenDocument. But I can't install it as the readme.txt file describes.

If I type 'make' I receive

Make: cc: Kommando nicht gefunden

make: cc: [21142.o] Fehler 127.

Does make use the file 'makefile'?. In there is one line 'install -c tulip.o /lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/net/tulip'. But in my directory there is no such path. In /lib/modules/ there are two different subpaths: 2.6.8.1-12mdk and 2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk. Could that be the reason why it doesn't work? (I don't know what kernel is running on my laptop.)

The zip file containes allready a file tulip.o. But if I want to install that using insmod tulip.o I receive:

insmod: error inserting 'tulip.o': -1 Invalid module format.

It seems there is no other driver from accton. So, what can I do?

Thanks in advance

Matthias

Can you manually make the connection (search this board for cammands) and post the errors?

Make uses the makefile. But as you can see you get the error: Kommando nicht gefunden. That means that the program that does 'make' is not installed. Look in the Mandrake Control Center, Software, install for packages with 'gcc' in their name and install the relevant ones.

And your right about the other error. Tha driver you have downloaded is not for you (with a 2.6xx kernel), but for someone with an 2.4xx (old) kernel.

Guest MatthiasOtto

Ok, I can compile now. But at the end it's the same problem: the driver does not work with the 2.6.x kernel. So, what now?

I have tryed the Suse 9.2 live eval cd. Suse 9.2 uses the same kernel, as far as I know. Without any problems it includes the EN2242 device during installation. What driver files doe they use? Doesn't that mean, that there must be another driver, that makes the EN2242 work with the 2.6 kernel? How can I find out? Where in Suse live eval installation do I find this information? And is it possible to copy the driver from there? How then?

Many questions ...