just built a comp [fixed]

Urza9814

crap...this isn't good...I just built my new comp...got it all put together...I think it's ok...but when I tried to boot it up...it didn't work. So then I realized I didn't plug in the power button. So I plugged that in, booted, it started for a sec then shut down. Realized I needed to boost my PSU voltage. So I did that, booted, and now im getting this loud squeal from somewhere around my CPU it seems...not the fan, I know that much, 'cause I plugged it into my other comp and didn't get it. Anyone got any ideas? Oh, and the case speaker isn't plugged in...

oh, all I got connected right now is: soundcard, PSU, Mobo, CPU, CPU fan, RAM, other fans...that's it

edit: ok, the squeal is coming from my mobo. Question is, why?

Edited by Urza9814

im using it right now under Morphix...I tried plugging in the other CD drive, and it died...not enough power...but if I step it up, I get that squeal...but since you said before it could be too much power, I'll try pluggin the rest in and see what happens...I looked at the BIOS and everything seemed ok.....

edit: tried it, still got the squeal

then I tried plugging everything in (just power) and booting with the low setting...it worked, oddly

but then I moved the CD-ROM to the right IDE plug, and it didn't boot (it's currently on the hdd plug)...imma have to try the hdds though...but for now, our pilot light is out, and my mom has to use my comp to look up how to fix it (she's too afraid to go in the basement and use that comp...so...)

edit2: IT LIVES!!!

turns out my main CD-ROM drive is fried or something...meh, oh well, I'll just buy a new one...I planned to anyways, I salvaged this off my old comp, and it's only 4x...

edit3: grrr...windoze don't boot...meaning my mom's gonna kill me...lol

I get a BSOD when I try to boot...even safe mode...with technical info of: '*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8940640, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)'...imma have to look that up on M$...hopefully get it fixed before the BGII LAN party my bro and his friends are having...

...anyone understand what this means, and will a reinstall fix it?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...md_stp_xlxv.asp

Edited by Urza9814

I think you'd better reinstall. Winblows is very sensible. A massive hardware change like yours probably killed the poor crap. :D

If you don't do defrag, scan disk, registry cleaning once a week it's performance goes down in 4-5 months or less depending on your activity.

I have to format the winblows partition about 3 times/year because it's performance simply keeps dropping from the moment it has been installed.

So, backup your stuff and go for it. :)

I think I need to reformat my linux /home partition too...having even more problems now...KDE apps just randomly crash and pop up error messages, Gnome don't work at all, I can't save my firefox prefs.....this /home is the one I had when I originially installed mandrake about a year ago...it's been through a lot...I've screwed up this install so many times, but it's always survived. It went from 9.2 to 10.0CE and back to 9.2 (which is what screwed it up the most)...so I think it's time to reformat....

ok, this is really screwed up. when I try to reinstall, it says

"STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error

\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll"

...and M$.com says to fix that, you have to reinstal.

...errrr.....

imma try to grab the file from my bro's comp....hopefully that'll work.

edit:

ahh, no wonder I couldn't save any config files...my /home was stuffed...lol...0B free :-P

I emptied my trash, should be ok now...still gonna reformat though...make it bigger.

edit2:

aurgh...got the dll from my bro's comp and from dll-files or w/e that site is called...im thinking they mean the DLL on the CD though...meaning my install disk is ****ed, meaning imma have to pirate a new one...lol

Edited by Urza9814

I got it!

I was looking for my post on the winblows message boards...and those things are soo screwed up...whenever you post stuff it just kinda disappears and comes back 3 days later...but anyways, as I was looking for it, I found a similar post, and they said to remove my slave drive...and it worked.