SAMBA 3 and Win98 problem

PeterPanic

Hi!

Today I switched from "guest ok = yes" to "guest ok = no" in Samba.

My problem: When my Win98SE-Clients want to access a Samba3-share they first have to open the folder in an Explorer / MyComputer - window. If after booting they immediately* try to access a file on a share via a program (in my case a DB client which accesses the DB-Backend on the server), it fails.

(I'm not in this office right now, so I can't post my smb.conf or the exact error message)

When they open the \\LINUXSERVER\share\ in the explorer, it opens without any problems, as the user-password is saved by Windows and (i guess) transmitted to Samba automatically. After that, the user can use the DB-Program normally until he/she reboots the PC.

What settings are responsible for that? Can I change anything on my Win98-PCs (except for opening the Folder in Autostart or assigning a drive letter - I'd prefer something that doesn't slow down system startup) or in my smb.conf?

*) No, it's got nothing to do with opening the share too fast or so, it really works right after I opened the share in explorer...

If someone could help fast I'd owe you something.

Ciao,

Panic