Vmware Install Problems

Guest Abild

Hey

I have a problem when installing VMWare on Mandrake Linux 10.

During the installation vmware asks for the location of the kernel source code. The default path suggestion is this: "/usr/src/linux/include" but that folder doesn't exists on my computer. I have tried to specify the path "/usr/include" instead but then the installer gives the folowing message:

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.0) does not match your running kernel (2.6.3-4mdk). Even if the module were to compile succesfully it would not load into the running kernel.

I have searched for the kernel source package in mandrakes rpm administrator but i was unable to find anyting usefull.

Where can i find the source code of my running kernel?

Thanks in advice.

Abild

When i do that it just tells me that there isn't any package called kernel-source :(

How many CD's did you install from?

Also have you got braodband, if so then follow the easyurpmi in the FAQ and set up your sources, get rid of the ones for the Cd's then

urpmi kernel-source-2.6.3-4mdk (or go to the MCC and add software, search on kernel-source and choose ...)

I've found out that the 3rd cd wasn't present in the media administrator. So i added it and then i was able to install the kernel-source-2.6.3-4mdk package without problems. But i still don't know where it's installed? The directory /usr/src/linux/include still doesn't exists

Also have you got braodband, if so then follow the easyurpmi in the FAQ and set up your sources, get rid of the ones for the Cd's then

I'm not sure what you mean? Where can i find that FAQ?

The kernel source was not installed properly the first time i tried because i had to delete the already existing directory /usr/src/linux directory before i was able to install the kernel source package.

So now the vmmon modules start to build but the process fails to complete

I was unable to copy from the MCC console so i had to post the output as screenshots...

vmwareprobs.png

vmwareprobs1.png

vmwareprobs2.png

vmwareprobs3.png

vmwareprobs4.png

What's the problem now?