can't make xcin 2.5.3.2

I'm using Mandrake 10.0, and I've been trying to install xcin from a tarball. I have no problem with any of the steps up to and through configure. It configures very well, but when I try the make command, I get:

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

My knowledge of computers is still extremely spotty,and I have not been able to find an answer to this one.

All the explanations make it sound easy,

./configure

make

su

"root"

make install.

I have installed a few other programs, but xcin doesn't seem to work.

Any advice?

JimW

Moved from Software to Terminal Shell Commands, Kernel and Programming - Artificial Intelligence

I don't think the ./configure went without problems. Check it for errors (or post it here).

Anyway, Mandrake uses urpmi to install software (read the FAQs for urpmi). Make sure you add main as one of your repositories and do urpmi xcin.

Thanks. I've done the configure three times now. There were no error messages.

I've just been attempting to make urpmi run It can't seem to find the xcin tarball.

I'll have to work on this a bit.

Thanks, JimW

Follow-up:

Learned a bit more about urpmi, and set it to work on the xcin rpm I've got here. It tells me that everything is already installed.

Which tells me that I ought to have removed the old version of xcin before trying the rpm.

Also makes me wonder a bit just what the error message means. Probably one of those "closest approximation" things, which means that it found certain things out there already installed, and wouldn't go further.

Next effort: remove previous xcin, then do the urpmi, and see how it works.

JimW

Further follow-up. After completely expunging everything related to xcin, I'm still getting the message "Everything already installed," when I attempt the rpm.

I went back to the tarball, and untarred it successfully. Now I can't even get it to configure.

I wonder if I should go way back and re-download the tarball?

Jimw

Okay, I've found the problem, but I don't know hatto do about it.

I get this message at the end of the configure:

checking for db_open in -ldb... no

checking for db_open in -ldb2... no

You need Berkeley DB 2 to compile xcin.

Please use --with-dbinc and --with-dblib to configure.

Now, I know I have db2; I just installed it.

Anyone help at all?

JimW

I'm using 10.0.

I had a problem recently where I had to reinstall my linux. I've done it three different times, and there are still problems with it, like not being able to update.

I'm trying to put off another re-install until after I've finished the writing project I'm working on right now, because a re-install always involves a long stream of adjustments that need to be made.

JimW

if it's that bad maybe you should consider another distro or OS?

Because I've had good luck with Mandrake from version 8-10.0.

My problem started when I went in and updated everything several weeks ago. After I did a lot of updates, I noted one allowing me to update to system base 10.1. Figuring, "Why not?" I went ahead. I discovered that several apps I'd been using (kaboodle and noatun, for instance) were no longer compatible with my system.

There were one or two other problems happening, so I eventually had to format my drive and reinstall the old 10.0.

As I said, after three tries, I still don't have it right, like it was before I got to monkeying around with the updates.

Since I use the computer mostly for writing, and since I'm close to the end of a project right now, I figure best to wait until I've done the project until I reload the Mandrake.