KDE is sick

Crashdamage

Since upgrading from 8.2 to 10.1 KDE just isn't right. This is a fresh install, including formatting all partitions except /home, which was left untouched. Using the 'standard' KDE 3.2 that came with the 10.1 Power Pack, no changes whatever. A few of the problems I've found:

1. Biggest problem is after logging out, KDE process hangs and eats about 98% CPU. Have to kill this manually.

2. Desktops don't fully load, icons are missing. A refresh does get 'em to pop up though.

3. Can't change the theme. Still stuck with whatever was being used under KDE 2.2 at the time of the upgrade.

4. Konqueror will not open in KDE, though it will if logged in with Fluxbox or other WM.

5. Etc, etc.

Basically, KDE is functional but very sick. To be honest, I couldn't care less myself - everything works great with Fluxbox or Ratpoison. But the other users on this box are starting to get upset so I gotta try to figure this out.

So what would be the best way to go about straightening this mess out? I've never fooled with KDE much, it's just too Windows-like for me, so I'm not up to speed much about KDE illnesses and how to fix them.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks. That's the answer I expected, just wanted a second opinion before I did it 'cause I really have almost no experience fooling with KDE.

Done, and it did fix the themes problem, but init.kde still hangs and has to be killed manually, Konqueror still refuses to open, etc. KDE is still in intensive care.

Any Ideas where to go from here?

Edited by Crashdamage