removing firefox [solved] but shortcut not solved

Hemtah

Hi,

*first internet post using linux*

i have installed firefox on a temp file, then deleted the dir, now firefox is not any more on this folder, what do i have to do to tell to mandrake to remove all links to it

here what i have when i do slocate firefox

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/pref

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/pref/firefox.js

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/pref/firefox-l10n.js

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/mimeTypes.rdf

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/search.rdf

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/prefs.js

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/chrome

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/chrome/userContent-example.css

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/chrome/userChrome-example.css

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/bookmarks.html

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/localstore.rdf

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/extensions

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}/install.rdf

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/extensions/Extensions.rdf

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults/profile/extensions/installed-extensions.txt

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/icons

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/icons/mozicon16.xpm

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/icons/document.png

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/icons/mozicon50.xpm

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/firefox

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/libnss3.so

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/libnssckbi.so

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/mozilla-xremote-client

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/libsoftokn3.so

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/libssl3.so

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/xpicleanup

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/firefox-bin

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/greprefs

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/greprefs/xpinstall.js

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/greprefs/all.js

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/greprefs/security-prefs.js

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/browserconfig.properties

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/extensions

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/extensions/Extensions.rdf

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}/install.rdf

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/extensions/installed-extensions-processed.txt

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/components.ini

/home/adam/Desktop/temp/firefox-installer/defaults.ini

All these file does not exist anymore but have been deleted.

Edited by Hemtah

If you deleted that directory, Firefox is pretty much gone. slocate is a database-based system, so it will still show files that have been removed until the database is updated, which Mandrake does automatically every week. If you want to update it manually so you get a more accurate result for some search, run 'updatedb' (as root) and be prepared to wait a few minutes. The only thing left of Firefox will be a hidden directory in your home directory which will contain its configuration details. Leaving this around does no harm to anything and you might want to keep 'em in case you ever decide to install Firefox again.

Havin_it is correct. When I do a Firefox install, I do it into a Folder I specially create called FIREFOX1.0 and it is located on a partition that does not get formatted when doing installs etc. When doing the install and selected the target folder FireFox1.0, I make sure to clear the words firefox.installer in the lower part of the install panel otherwise it creates an unnecessary folder by that name inside the Host folder.

The same partition also contains untarred source programs that I use as well. They are in one handy, convenient place.

When I have installed Firefox, I delete the original Installer package because I can always get it again if I want it. (it is on a CD-r/w together with other programs which I constantly update)

It is easy to just go into FireFox1.0, drag the firefox to either the desktop or the Panel (I prefer the panel) and click on create a link and the right click on the link and find my way to the Firefox icon in the Chrome folder in FireFox1.0. It is all done.

In fact I still prefer this method to rather than using the rpm processed version, now having tried both.

Cheers. John.

Hello hemtah.

Don't remove your Firefox rpm if it only a case that you open it via the CLI.

Go to your MCC and into uninstall software.

Highlight the firefox rpm by clicking on it.

On the right side you will see all the details about the rpm. Most importantly you will see where it has been installed. e.g. /usr/bin Maybe different but you get the idea.

Click on Home to open Konqueror and go to where you found firefox was installed, find it and do a drag and drop of it on to the desktop or the panel and click on OK. This will create a link to firefox. The resulting icon will be a gear wheel but you can change the icon to one that suits you.

Then you and your wife will only need to click on the icon and firefox is away and running.

Hope this helps. John.

well, i have removed firefox rpm has you said, this is now the 10 times i am trying to install it and running from my desktop, and it's not a success.

well, in my firefox folder, firefox file does not have a blue wheel? is this normal? i think yes. I just made a ls -s ... to put a link to /usr/bin location, from here i have copied the file but it does run firefox, but if i type firefox on CLI it works fine...omg what i am going to do.

Thank again John

If it's launching from the command line, then it's in $PATH, assuming you don't have to cd into the directory to launch it. If you want the location of the executable just run:

$ which firefox

that will print out the path to firefox. Once you know that you can make a shortcut to it on your desktop using that path. Firefox is launched from a script in the install directory called, unsurprisingly, "firefox". Being a script it won't have the blue gear icon of an executable but rather has a black tv boxlike icon that all executable scripts have. If you click on that script file, it launches firefox.

Edited by pmpatrick

well, i have done what u asked me to do

[adam@localhost adam]$ which firefox

/usr/bin/firefox

here even if i type /usr/bin/firefox

or firefox

firefox does not run

making a link to /usr/bin/firefox do nothing

but

when i am connected in the root i can access to firefox from CLI

hemtah. I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.

Where did you get your download of FireFox in the first place.

I think we need to know that, to be certain whether we are talking about an RPM of Firefox or the usually downloaded firefox-installer. They are two entirely different things.

Also if it is not an expressly Mandrake RPM of Firefox but an RPM for some other Linux OS such as Fedora or Suse then that could be part of the problem.

I hope you can see why I ask the first question.

Pmpatrick is right about the gear symbol thing, my mistake.

John.

the rpm file i got come from rpmdrake which is connected to internet

and one from pbone.net which is for mandrake 10.x

the other files i have tried come from mozilla web site, this file has been removed from my computer.

hemtah.  I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.

Where did you get your download of FireFox in the first place.

I think we need to know that, to be certain whether we are talking about an RPM of Firefox or the usually downloaded firefox-installer. They are two entirely different things.

Also if it is not an expressly Mandrake RPM of Firefox but an RPM for some other Linux OS such as Fedora or Suse then that could be part of the problem.

I hope you can see why I ask the first question.

Pmpatrick is right about the gear symbol thing, my mistake.

John.

yes this is the case, i need to be as a root user, i mean, go to the CLI, type SU and the password and then type firefox

this is strange because i have already installed few softwares and all work great from shortcut or the mdk menu.

Please tell me what i have to do to get firefox working on ordinary user as well.

Thanks