Using Ndiswrapper

BadMuffin

I'm TRYING to install mandrake 10.1 community, and have learned that ndiswrapper is the module to use with my 3com wireless usb adapter, to get online so I can find the NVIDIA drivers and get the graphical interface up and running. The problem is that I can't use the ting!? Why? I issued some commands with the following results:

# lsmod | grep -i ndis

ndiswrapper 67360 0

#lsmod | grep -i prism

prism2_usb 73828 0

p80211 31440 1 prism2_usb

usbcore 103172 5 prism2_usb, ehci-hcd-uhci-hcd

#iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions

#ndiswrapper

-bash: ndiswrapper: command not found

You see? I can't install my 3com driver without ndiswrapper (according to the ndiswrapper hardware list), and ndiswrapper does not work.

Thanks for all help. And remember that this is my first linux distro, so keep the information on an extremely newbie level. :wall:

sounds like you don't have the kernel source installed in /usr/src/

urpmi your kernel source and install the newest version of ndiswrapper according to their install readme

p.s. get rid of the old version first that mandrake istalls as default when you installed mandrake --- the 2 versions will conflict badly with each other!

You must have your kernel source installed in /usr/src/ so ndiswrapper can write a module to it

remember this because if you ever install further kernels you will have to reinstall ndiswrapper so it can write a new module for the new kernel

it's all in the install readme you'll get with the latest version of ndiswrapper

there is a faq in tips and tricks on how to properly install ndiswrapper

Ok, starting to think over the whole linux thing. You know the thing about windows... you know, it just works, it's a great advantage. I'm starting to get a little bit sick and tired of this linux thingy just being all big and bad!

Uninstalled the old ndiswrapper using urpme, edited the files using vim, all looked very good. Started to install the new and improved ndiswrapper, only to get an error message saying "Could not write dir, read only filesystem". WTF? Please help. This linux thing is starting to get close to the drain... :help:

BTW, at the moment you're loading *two* network drivers, prism2_usb (which apparently thinks it can handle your card) and ndiswrapper. This will be screwing things up. Are you sure it doesn't just work with prism2_usb without touching ndiswrapper at all? Try removing anything at all you've done relating to ndiswrapper, reboot to get a fresh start, and run drakconnect.

Installed as root yes. As you can see over, I tried to run iwconfig with just the prism2_usb module loaded, but drakconnect I've never heard of. Maybe that will work. But why do I get an "Read only filesystem" error?

If in now should uninstall ndiswrapper, is this the way to go:

#urpme ndiswrapper

And then maybe editing the "modprobe.conf" file for ndiswrapper settings.

Forgive me if I mix things up a little, I'm completely new to linux.

Oops... I forgot to say, I've got a GeForce 6800 GT, and I'm trying to install the driver for this card. That's easier said than done. The driver install ask to download "kernel updates", or something like that, that's why I try to get the usb wlan adapter to function...

OMG! I just learned that the windows filesystem is read-only when you're using linux. That's why I'm having so much trouble installing ndiswrapper. Well, I keep learning every day now... Learning by doing!

ndiswrapper has nothing to do with writing to a windows filesystem - you have to copy the drivers across to your linux system.

Ndiswrapper doesn't work with my 3com usb adapter. I get "Hardware present, software present", but the driver is not loaded. The driver is in the right folder, but it just does NOT work.

Solution: Peck a hole in the ceiling and go back to fullwired networking. That should do it. :beer: